View all photos (78)
Likely To Sell Out
Select Date and Travellers
Free Cancellation up to 8 days in advance
Low Price GuaranteeNo Booking Fees
Enjoy the rare opportunity to spot native Australian wildlife in their natural environment on this tour from Melbourne. Explore the bushlands and billabongs of Melbourne’s Western Plains on guided hikes; look out for wild kangaroos, koalas, cockatoos, and emus; and tuck into a picnic lunch, accompanied by traditional Australian billy tea.
- Spot wild kangaroos, koalas, and emus in their natural habitat
- A naturalist guide maximizes your chance of sightings
- Convenient hotel pickup and round-trip transport from Melbourne
- Small group of just 10 participants ensure personalized experience
What to Expect
After pickup from selected hotels in Melbourne, travel by air-conditioned vehicle and set out to explore Victoria’s Western Plains, where the vast grasslands, bushlands, and remote billabongs (backwater pools) harbor an incredible variety of wildlife. Accompanied by your naturalist guide, stop at around various locations to enjoy guided hikes. Set out in search of kangaroos and koalas while learning more about the native Australian creatures, their natural environment, and characteristics, as well as wildlife preservation and conservation efforts being carried out in the region. If you’re lucky, you can also spot exotic birds, such as cockatoos and wild emus. Refuel with a picnic lunch in the heart of the bush, as you hear stories about the land’s traditional owners, the Wathaurong, and understand the importance of the natural area to the Aboriginal people. Finish your lunch with a typical Aussie billy tea. Your tour ends with drop-off at selected Melbourne hotels.
The Langham, Melbourne, 1 Southgate Ave, Melbourne VIC 3006, Australia Crown Promenade, 8 Whiteman St, Southbank VIC 3006, Australia Rydges Melbourne, 186 Exhibition St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia Pullman Melbourne on Swanston, 195 Swanston St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, 575 Flinders Ln, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
Returns to original departure point
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Guided full day tour
- Expert Nature Guides
- Gourmet bush lunch
- Australia's Goods and Services Tax (GST)
- Due to timings, this tour is not recommended for passengers arriving & departing via cruise ship
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- IMPORTANT: Please tell us where you are staying so we can arrange the best pick up location. We do not stop at all pick up locations for each tour. You much prearrange your pick up locations
- What to Bring: Good walking shoes or boots, clothing to suit variable weather conditions (temperatures range from 5C to +35C, sun hat, rainproof coat, insect repellent, 15+ sunblock and 1 litre water bottle. Camera and binoculars are also recommended.
- Infant seats can be provided at a fee of AUD$20 payable direct.
- Vegetarian and Vegan options are available, please advise at time of booking if required.
- Tour itinerary is subject to change to optimise wildlife experience
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- This tour operates with a Minimum of 2 people and a Maximum of 10.
- We can not pick you up from the port if you are coming off a cruise ship. You must have time to make it to the Holiday Inn hotel by 8:30am this requires your ship to arrive no later then 7:30am.
- Most travellers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travellers. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
If you cancel at least 8 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee. If you cancel within 7 days of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
About the operator
By: Echidna Walkabout - Day Tours
Great day trip to see wildlife where it belongs
This is a great day to spend walking and sighting koalas and kangaroos, and whatever else pops up along the way,…
The Perfect Day Discovering Wildlife
My husband and I spent 3 days with our guide (Dan) and loved every minute of it. Dan was extremely knowledgeable…
Brett gave a marvelous tour!
Brett was a terrific guide! He is very knowledgeable, friendly, and great at spotting native animals!
New York City, New York40
A great day trip for Nature Lovers
Thanks to our fantastic guide Hayley, we spotted sleepy Koalas nestled high up in the branches in the You Yangs,…
Very good guide, he did know a lot about the animals, a unik possibility to see the animals close up
Fabulous-beyond our dreams
We did the three day Great Ocean Road tour with Hailey. She was wonderful, knowledgeable, passionate, and…
Koalas are Kool!
Really. This was an incredible experience. Bret (and it appears all of the people who work at this company) are…
Incredible, close encounters
Amy was our tour guide. She was very enthusiastic and it was clear that she loved her job. She was flexible with…
Swindon, United Kingdom40
Great day out
We went as a family of 4. The group was small and our guide Amy was very informative. It was great ti see these…
Five star plus
We spent the day touring with Ashira. Having traaveled all over the world and hiring the finest guides, we found…
- Echidna Walkabout - Day Tours
- Duration: 8h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 8 days in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Free Cancellation up to 8 days in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+60 392125427