Start time: Check availability
Live guide: Chinese, English
What's not included
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Professional guide
- Transport by private vehicle
- Hotel/port pickup and drop-off
- Parking Fees
- Food and drinks
- Entrance fees
- Entry/Admission - Pinang Peranakan Mansion
- Entry/Admission - Khoo Kongsi
- Departure details
- Traveller pickup is offered.
- We pick up from any hotel on Penang Island, from Penang Island bus station, from Penang Cruise Port and from Penang International Airport. Please enquire if your hotel or pickup is outside of these localities e.g. Butterworth, Bukit Mertajam or Kulim. Tour time starts from pickup point.
- Penang Intl Airport, Malaysia
- Port Swettenham Penang
- Hotel pickup is offered. View the hotel list on our checkout page to see if yours is included among the pickup points.
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 103531P3
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Refunds will not be issued if tour/activity is missed due to late or non-arrival of cruise ship
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travellers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 103531P3
- You'll get picked upSee departure details
- 1Reclining Buddha Wat ChaiyamangalaramStop: 30 minutesSee details
- 2Dharmikarama Burmese TempleStop: 30 minutesSee details
- 3Pinang Peranakan MansionStop: 60 minutes - Admission excludedSee detailsPass byGeorge Town
- 4Khoo KongsiStop: 60 minutes - Admission excludedSee details
- 5Chew JettyStop: 30 minutesSee details
- You'll return to the starting point
About the operator
George Town, Malaysia
Joined in October 2018
#1 of 77 Shopping in George Town
- ginnt202300ExcellentBooked the flexi full day adventure by Active Dynamics and the whole experience was pleasant and smooth. The agency emailed and later gave me the contact of the tour guide Lester Lam Meng Chee which enabled me to do some planning with him before the trip. Lester was also an excellent guide. He was patient with our group's request and was able to keep my elderly mother entertained. His photography skils was also fantastic and took many beautiful photos of the family. Overall a wonderful experience for us all, a group of 7 age 9 to 81 years old.
- marthaw84200We’ll worth the time!Mr Eng did an excellent job showing us around and giving us background and history. We saw all the highlights and a few extras thrown in!
- 278gillianv00Great activity to experience PenangGreat introduction to the foods of Penang. Fabulous way to learn about and appreciate the history, people and culture of this beautiful part of the world.
- d0gm00The best single dish we have ever tasted!!James is an amazing host. Knowledgeable and friendly with a passion for his city and its food / culture. He is very attentive and genuinely wants you to enjoy the experience. We have done many food tours - cooking classes tec. This is the best. Worth the price just for the Laksa. Such depth of flavour. If you enjoy food you have to do this tour! Unfortunately, we had to cut the tour short as my partner had hurt her back but even so James provided incredible value. He also made the ffort afterwards to check on how she was and offer to help if we need medical care etc. A great guy!
- lifestrip00The best Way to explore PenangWe were so glad we chose this activity. It was made even more special due to our guide Eng Choon Wooi. ( From Active dynamic travel and tours). He is a very nice and funny guy , full of humour and friendly gestures. He showed us some beautiful places on this beautiful town, shared so much information about each of sites we visited. He made us skip the serpentine line to board the funicular that would take us to Penang hill. The ticket was expensive but made sense since we got priority boarding.
- stef75200Incredible guide, great food, amazing culture!This food tour was by far the best one I’ve ever been on. James was knowledgeable and a true story teller. We ate more than enough food, from many different cultures of Malaysia, and he taught us so much about the heritage of Penang Island. If you’re thinking about booking this tour, just do it! It was the perfect evening!
- Teresa M00👍 great variety of food to fill you upBeatrice our guide was enthusiastic & knowledgeable about the food and history of the area Put your running shoes on and be hungry 😋 . You won’t be disappointed.
- 383dinushaw00Highly recommend!This tour was a highlight of my visit to Penang. James was an incredible tour guide. He gave clear information about meeting points and the tour schedule, and made sure to clarify any allergies or food preferences with the tour group members. The food we tried was delicious and James gave detailed history and information on all the dishes. During the tour, James also explained the history of Penang and Georgetown, architecture, notable streets, and took us to a local temple too. I would highly recommend this tour.
- Tour28581100Overpriced experienceThe foodtour in itself was great, informative and good food (i could not taste all since I don’t like spicy). We were 6, paying 360 Euro. Considering the very low foodprice for very good food 5 to 30 Ringgit, this tour is EXTREMELY OVERPRICED. Sorry. Check the monthly salary.. 🤷🏻♀️
- K9980FVmarkt00Amazing private tour of George TownWe did this tour on the first full day we had in Penang. Ang was a friendly and informative guide who took us to our key points of interest, in Penang Hill, Kek Lok Si and the Clan Jetties. As well as being very knowledgeable, he let us go at our own pace, to take everything in and he was always on hand to answer any questions. Having a private tour was great, as it made sure we had an air conditioned car between each stop, as it was very hot and humid. On top of this we had 2 other stops based on Ang's recommendations which gave us a really good insight into the Chinese Malay culture and a chance to see one of the clan houses. We also took his recommendation for lunch and stopped at a food court where we got a delicious Laksa. If you're only doing a short stay in Penang, this is a great way to see some of the best points of interest and learn a lot about the history and culture, as well as getting the chance for some great photo opportunities.
- K9980FVmarkt00Incredibly informative tour with plenty of great foodWith only two full days in Penang, we were very pleased we did this tour. The 4pm start made sure we had plenty of time to explore in the day and then we were glad we took the trip advisor recommendation and skipped lunch. James was a fantastic guide, taking us to both street food stalls and small restaurants to try plenty of the different flavours and food in George Town. There were far too many dishes to name in here, but the amount we tried was incredible. We expected lots of small samples, but we had full dishes between us, so we were plenty satisfied by the end. The temple stop was also interesting and a good break from eating. If you do stop over in George Town and keen to try some of the best food in Malaysia, we definitely recommend doing this, you won't be disappointed.
- Racing_box00Amazing Experience with Experienced Tour Guide4 days 3 nights in Penang. 3rd time going to Penang and 1st time engaging a tour guide, without regret. Came across this Flexible 6 hrs highlight (Private tour) and decided to give it a try. Well, I must say, our experienced tour guide Josh or 阿强, give us a detailed explanation on places we requested to go, as well as we requested for local hawker centre where he brought us to for fantastic delicacies. He even go to the extend of bringing us to 1 temple (for my wife) to 求签. Especially going to Penang Hill. I would advise you to buy the Fast Lane ticket rather than wasting time to wait in queue to take the Tram. Josh made great decision by purchasing the Fast Lane tickets for us (RM80 per Pax), appreciate that. Shall we visit Penang again, will engage Active Dynamics service again, and surely want Josh to bring us around. Achieved amazing Guests Experience. Great job and Highly Recommended 👏 👍
- X7566PSrichards00Great evening about food, drink, and history.The food and drink selections were great. Things we would not normally think to try. And the history of the city was a welcome break between food and drinks.
- Compass2244674024400George Town Half DayWe did a 4 hour tour of George Town's UNESCO World Heritage area led by Josh Lim. Josh's knowledge was impressive and engaging and we thoroughly enjoyed the tour.
- HTabz00Interesting and so much food to tryOur guide was Beatrice who was enthusiastic about the culture and food. She gave us some information about buildings, Penang history and of course the food (if Chinese origin). We had a few dishes at the start to quell our hunger, then a bit of walking with nibbles on the way and finished with loads of food to fully satisfy us. Don’t worry about spicy food as she can alter to suit your taste. Great experience which allowed us to be braver when trying the local food
Detailed Reviews: Reviews order informed by descriptiveness of user-identified themes such as cleanliness, atmosphere, general tips and location information.
Oct 2019 • Solo
It was a great tour and very well organised. My guide was very knowledgeable and very flexible with the itinerary and was happy to change things depending on my own interests. Thanks for a great day!
Written 4 October 2019
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews as part of our industry-leading trust & safety standards. Read our transparency report to learn more.
Thanks Lauren. We are glad you have a great day. There are more Penang has to offers. Cheers - AD
Written 5 October 2019
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of Tripadvisor LLC.