What travellers are saying
- Gunung Mulu is an amazing place. Did the 3 day/2 night option to include the 4 major caves and decided to treat myself to the Marriott which more than lived up expectations. As other contributors have said, just being in this area and so close to nature makes this place feel very special. The caves were all fantastic - different in their own ways and even getting to them is an experience, either trekking on paths through the jungle or boat trips down the swollen river. The wildlife on show was incredible too - the bat exodus has to be seen to be believed. One note, do not bother with Miri (Mulu is included in lots of Miri pages) - it is NOT Miri which is soulless place and not worth wasting 3 days in!!)Written 24 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- You have to register at the main entrance of Niah Caves Park. There are some chalets for rental as well as a restaurant. If you are planning a day trip, there is also a shower in the ladies toilet and a prayer room. It is designed to have a very short boat ride across a river to the hike to the caves.
Niah caves consist of a few interconnecting caves. In order to see the cavemen drawings, you have to go all the way in. The hike path through out is on board walk so there is no worry about leeches. Some sections of the board walk inside the caves are very slippery even with hiking shoes. Wish they would use wire mesh on the wooden board as anti slip. Need individual torch lights as the path in the caves is not lighted to take care of the bats.
You can find torch lights at the half way mark of the trekking path where there is a Tamu where you can find some local Iban women selling their handicrafts, torch lights, snack and cold drinks.
It was nice hike.Written 10 August 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I enjoyed a 5 day trip to Long Kerong at the end of May ...it was a fantastic experience! The journey there is awesome in itself seeing Borneo from above then the surreal trip up the river. I only wish I'd had more time, the few days went too fast, I enjoyed the slow pace and peacefulness ...well maybe minus the roosters. The heat takes some adjusting too but overall it was the highlight of my trip to Borneo...my guide and the villagers were incredibly welcoming.Written 23 August 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Overall, a good place to visit for the day. The trails through the jungle are generally well marked and are not to be underestimated. I did the waterfalls walk which took about 4 hrs of strenuous walking - there are many steep inclines some of which needed the assistance of the ropes provided. I didn't see ANY of the named wildlife (I was quiet and observant) but even without tour guide, the jungle was amazing. I did this is a day trip from Miri (itself not worth visiting) with a Grab there and a very lucky lift back as i was told by the Park Ranger that I would struggle with buses/taxis out there due to major road works going on.Written 24 October 2023
- Nice view of the city on one side and ocean from the other side. Place has lot of small eateries there and also petroleum museum. The sunset can also be very beautiful from there. We left at around 5pm so could not experience from there. Petroleum museum was also closed maybe because it was Saturday.Written 9 April 2023
- Must go place to see sunset. We reached just in time to catch sunset. Since we visited during Ramadan all the shops and eateries were closed. But still it is a nice place to visit.Written 27 April 2023
- A national park, it provides amenities for the solo to the group traveler and visitor. Walk through the forest to the many caves within. Explore the multiple caves available with an easy walk through the forest on its boardwalk or you can get a guide to get you on the trails. With mini falls and event views from peaks. There is even a river boat ride to travel down. Get to know people and if your lucky, visit a village that is link by the river.Written 5 March 2020
- Beautiful beach view and very peaceful pleasant place to release stress.Totally recommended for family or couple tripWritten 12 April 2023
- not fantastic. expecting to see fountains. no wonder a local told us to give it a miss. but it s quiet though. 30 minutes enough.Written 2 March 2023
- I travel from Miri to Gua Niah takes about 1 hour 30 minutes drive. When reach, 1st go to the Counter on the left of the entrance to buy admission ticket. After that, move to the Jetty on the right house (got toilet) and follow the sign board to take the board cross the river (just opposite - cost RM1/way). When arrived, you can 1st go to visit the Galley to understand the story before you enter to the Cave. Once done, you may start to walk the thru the bridge (it take at least +/- 30mins) to reach the rest area before you enter to the cave (got toilet, sell drinks, snacks & souvenir). Recommend go to toilet before next move. when you reach the Cave, please look at the sign board on your left and start your journey (recommend don't start from the staircase). When reach the T-Junction, go straight if you want to explore more to the Paint Cave, if not, can choose to turn right which down from the staircase).
Please remember to wear at least sport shoes and light clothes also bring head light + touch light as inside the cave is very dark and slippery. Cheers!!!Written 3 January 2023
- This tourist spot destination is around 40km from Miri city,it takes 50 minutes to reach the beach that near to Bekenu town.
People may astonished by remarkable bioluminescence especially during blue stunning sight season walking along the seaside.Written 16 April 2020
- Bridge is closed due to being unsafe, the little water park is great for younger kids though and only cost 1 myr each. Would have been nice if the waterfall and fountain was onWritten 24 October 2022
- This is situated on Canada Hill. The museum was closed when we went but the views from the hill are beautiful, specially the sunset. Must visit if your are in Miri.Written 27 April 2023
- Easy to reach place, where u can visit the site office within the area. Make arrangement with those girls in there and there is a guide to assist u.Written 4 August 2019
- This wildlife park is located at 24km Miri-Kuala Baram Road, about 35 minutes distance from city centre. Visitors can experience natural crocodiles breeding and viewing animals at mini zoo.
You can even buy some bananas to feed the monkeys.How wonderful the feeling come close with these nature gift creatures.Take care always.Written 11 April 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Miri
- The best day trips from Miri according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Brunei Heritage Tour
- Iban Entulang Longhouse with Lambir Hills National Park Tour
- Borneo Tropical Rainforest Tour
Miri Attractions Information
|Tuesday 7:13 pm|