Showing results 1-30 of 56
What travellers are saying
- This museum is worth a good hour of your time. An old family home with its original fittings and furniture, it is a snapshot of Peranakan family life a century ago, frozen in time. The influences all hark back to China, except for some wall prints and photographs that hint at aspiration to European society, very little Malay influence visible. The self-guided tour brochure is helpful, but I feel that I would have learned much more with a tour guide.Written 27 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Amazing experience! The guide is so lovely and will tell you the history of his familiy and their 100 years old traditional home.Written 18 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The Stadthuys meaning city hall is a historical structure situated in the heart of Malacca City, Malacca, Malaysia in a place known as the Red Square. The Stadhuys is known for its red exterior and nearby red clocktower. It was built by the Dutch in 1650 as the office of the Dutch Governor.Written 26 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- So much more than jewellery, there is something for everyone! You get to immerse yourself in the Baba Nyonya household, customs, marriage rites, ways of dress, and home life. Passionate and very knowledgable tour from Linda (in Cantonese), ever patient with my questions and she made it so fun. Highly recommend.Written 15 January 2020
- Malacca or Melaka in Malaysia was our favorite place. It is romantic city filled with history and interesting things to see, a mix of European and Asian architecture style.
Make sure to go on a boat cruise along the river at night after 7:30pm to see the city filled with colours.
Be there during the week-end or just before Friday to experience the famous night market.
Visit the church square (red buildings), go to the top of St Paul’s church, learn all about the Gallery Kota Melaka (free entrance) and the Cheng’s Ho cultural museum (watch their short history movie to understand the connection with Malacca).
There are all kinds of museum in this town and people are so nice! the friendliest and most welcoming we have found so far in Malaysia.
It is a relaxing city for couples or family with kids to spend a couple of days enjoying your vacation.
I totally recommend visiting this city.Written 27 June 2023
- Bigger than expected and take you from his childhood all the way to his 7 voyages. All well explained.
The only miss was a guide.
Takes a few hours to read all the panels.
Definitely worth a visit.Written 6 February 2020
- A place to soak in the nostalgic vibe of life in the 50s to 70s, with tonnes of items on display in settings such as a home, kitchen, medicine hall and hair salon. For visitors who grew up in Malaysia and Singapore during this period, some items are sure to evoke memories! Visitors are welcome to stay as long as they want and take photos to their hearts' content.Written 28 May 2020
- Great place to go in the morning or afternoon as it’s indoors and air con (thank goodness for it)… Display models and exhibits are nice but the explanations in English requires a lot more proofreading as there are spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.. great place to go with young children as it is educational and fun to explore..Written 7 December 2022
- Stunning gallery, definitely worth a visit. A picture certainly tells a thousand words in this gallery. I couldn't buy the art but there were lovely postcards to take away.Written 12 December 2022
- Small shop with a good and wide selection of unique handicrafts, run by a very friendly owner.
They sell some lovely Temiar, Mari Mari n Penan weave items. I absolutely loved the colourful wood block prints, pottery and cushion covers.Written 18 May 2023
- Art Gallery and T-shirt shop. Went for the T-shirts. They are priced at RM40 , you could also purchase the arts and frames.Written 5 February 2022
- The museum was very good, it has lots of information about the history of melaka. The only negative thing is that most of the museum is a series of painting with information about the history of melaka, there are not many actual artefacts to look at.Written 23 August 2022
- Quite hard to get to but I think its worth it. There is an entry fee. The submarine is properly maintained and to my amazement, there's air conditioning inside the submarine. There are also 2 fighter jets in this compound.Written 16 December 2022
- Unfortunately our guide is not a guide but a driver. He dropped us in this great place and came to pick us after 2 hours. We had a hard time trying to ask about places and read some signage to understand. Later on, I came to know that what we saw was The Proclamation of Independence Memorial.Written 26 September 2023
- Interesting museum with some graphic detail on prison life in Malaysia over the years, including punishments and sentences. Lots of cells still in tact, and tons of English and Malaysian signage about interesting facts. The staff are super friendly, in particular one prison gentleman (who we didn’t get the name), who showed us round and gave us tips on directions etc.
We also visited on a Thursday morning and at 11:00am there was a special theatrical performance, all in Malaysian, which told a story of two women being sentenced to death. There was also some traditional dancing in the courtyard afterwards. We really enjoyed it here and found the whole experience fascinating and insightful.
Entry is only RM6 for non Malaysians so absolutely worth a visit!Written 1 June 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Melaka
- These experiences are best for museums in Melaka:
- Melaka Upside Down House Admission Tickets
- Malacca Day Tour (Price based per car)
- Cycling / Rickshaw / Walking Malacca Tour from Kuala Lumpur
- Melaka Upside Down House Admission Tickets
- Upside Down House Gallery Melaka Admission Ticket
- These are the best places for groups seeking museums in Melaka:See more museums for groups in Melaka on Tripadvisor