Top Attractions in Laugarvatn
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- My husband and I experienced “The Cave People” just after New Year’s Day 2022 and I would highly recommend the experience. We were staying in a rather remote place near Thingvellir National Park where interesting, “geeky” educational experiences (which is what we like to do when traveling) were not something in great supply. Happily we learned about “The Cave People” and couldn’t have been happier that we did. Although the Google listing and the self-booking tool on the Cave People website noted that this enterprise was closed for the season, they offered multiple ways to reach out. I contacted them regarding the potential for a private tour for the following day and received a professional, polite, and complete reply from Smári (who was also the gentleman who led our tour) in mere minutes. We were offered two time slots and (thankfully!) apprised in advance that private tours are cash-only, which saved us from any embarrassment or delay upon arrival.
When we arrived the next morning (after the beautiful drive) to the Cave People’s site, we were greeted by our guide, Smári, in full period attire exactly as pictured on their website. Coming from a marketing background, whenever you receive exactly what you are shown, it builds immediate trust and makes me feel valued for my business.
We had a private tour of this most remarkable cave residence, made very relatable via expertly told (but no so much as to feel forced or overly rehearsed) the personal histories of Indriði Guðmundsson and Guðrún Kolbeinsdóttir, and Jón Þorvarðsson and Vigdís Helgadóttir, who lived in there. Without spoiling anything, the story-telling was great– replete with suspense, royalty, and Huldufólk (hidden people).
Smári gave a brilliant tour, slightly longer (happily so) than the 25 minutes promised on the website, and indulged us in all of our questions (of which we had more than a few). If you are interested in something off-the-beaten path, interesting, that is a departure from the all-too-expected snowmobiling/jeep/faux-adventure tours, I think you will thoroughly enjoy the Cave People as we did. Highly Recommended. Honestly, I do not have any constructive feedback for this most interesting and welcomed attraction that we were not expecting but so happy that we did discover.Written 3 January 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Everyone in our family really enjoyed the geothermal bakery tour and especially loved tasting the warm bread with smoke d salmon and butter. We returned later that day to enjoy more time in the geothermal baths. My son enjoyed swimming in the lake in between visiting the steam rooms and various pools. We also had a great time meeting other visitors. It was a great experience and we would definitely return next time we visit the Golden Circle. Also , the staff was fantastic -- very friendly and helpful!!Written 18 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Went stand-board paddling with my 3 teenagers and it was simply great fun. They had been very lazy earlier that day, stuck on their phones and screens so I sort of dragged them out and told them that there would be a surprise. And what a surprise! We went paddling first, which was basic and not too complicated but then there were games afterwards which really added to the fun. I highly recommend for everyone with kids and teenagers - and those young at heart!Written 3 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We came across this when driving down for some white water rafting near Gulfoss. Very glad we spotted it! The group I was with ended up purchases several items. The gifts were truly unique and the owner was very pleasant and helpful. Definitely stop by if you're in the area, you will not regret it!Written 11 August 2019
Frequently Asked Questions about Laugarvatn
- The best day trips from Laugarvatn according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Golden Circle, Blue Lagoon Including Admission & Kerid Volcanic Crater
- Golden Circle, Kerid Volcanic Crater, and Blue Lagoon Day Trip from Reykjavik
- Small-Group Golden Circle and Kerid Volcanic Crater Day Trip from Reykjavik
- Golden Circle and Fontana Geothermal Spa Day Trip from Reykjavik
- Golden Circle with Fridheimar Farm and Kerid in small group tour from Reykjavík
- The most popular things to do in Laugarvatn with children according to Tripadvisor travellers are:See all kid friendly things to do in Laugarvatn on Tripadvisor