We initially picked Maui Bombers because they were the only cycle company that would accommodate our family - we have two boys 12 and 10 who are avid bike riders but all other companies wouldn't let the 10-year-old ride. Well, I'm glad we found them because this was easily the highlight of our trip to Hawaii and my boys couldn't stop smiling after the trip.
The whole trip was top-notch, and since they only take small groups, it felt very personalized - the bike ride was just our guides and our family (6 people). They said this is pretty typical as their average group size is around 6 people, unlike competitors which are around 15 people.
Some of the extras that really make this trip stand out from others:
1) Our guide took lots of photos and videos (so we didn't have to) and just air-dropped them to us at the end of the ride. He even quickly edited a time-lapsed video of our decent. This was an awesome and unexpected surprise.
2) The freshly baked muffins (yum!).
3) Halfway through the trip you get lunch. But this isn't just a pre-packaged sandwich and a bag of chips. They take you to this cute little cafe where we got our own seating area to enjoy lunch. The food was great - make sure to get the lemonade with honey :-)
4) The lunch stop is in a city called Makawao, which is an old cowboy town that is now home to several art galleries, shops, and food options (including the Maui Cookie Lady). After lunch, the guides gave us time to walk around and explore the town. No pressure to stay on a schedule.
5) The guides were all knowledgable, energetic, and fun. They truly seemed to be having just as much fun as we were having and made sure we had the best experience.
6) Unexpected extras like stickers for our boys. At one point of the tour, you ride through some eucalyptus trees. My wife kept talking about how much she loved the smell of riding through the eucalyptus trees. While we were exploring the town, one of the guides picked a eucalyptus branch for my wife to take home (we kept it in our condo the rest of our trip)...just a wonderful, unexpected touch!
They obviously nail all of the basics as well - great equipment, excellent communication, etc.
Trust me, if you are planning on doing a volcano bike ride on Maui, there is no better company than Maui Bombers.