We have just had 2 recent stays at Sponars, one group trip during peak August and one couples trip in September.
- Rooms are clean and tidy, though on the smaller side. Bed linen is nice, good water pressure in the shower and a nice goodie hamper awaiting on our arrival. Heater in room kept it toasty warm.
- Food is excellent, fully cooked hot breakfast with cereal aswell, and barista made coffee available for purchase. 3 course meal every night with a nice selection of Mains, with the most delicious brownies you will ever taste. Also really grateful for Apple Juice at breakfast, and not just Orange!
- Ski hire conveniently onsite. Prefill your form and they will have your skis waiting for you upon arrival.
- Heated Pool and Steam room for those weary muscles.
- Great communal lounge/bar area - plenty of room for larger groups to spread out.
- shuttle bus takes you to and from smiggins and perisher
- large drying room and equipment storage area
- easy late night check in
- wifi available to purchase
Thumbs down or opportunities for improvement:
- no phone signal. Obviously cannot be helped being positioned in the valley as it is, though can make it difficult if you need to communicate with members of your group on the mountain. Be mindful of this when booking.
- wifi would be improved if access was available in the guest rooms too, not just the foyer.
- stairs... can be cumbersome with bulky ski gear, boots and bags - be aware of this before booking as there is no lift.
- shuttle bus only goes twice in the morning and twice in the afternoon, personally we found this schedule sometimes difficult to work around and drove most days. Would be improved if the shuttle did another run morning and afternoon, particularly during peak.
- no tvs in guest rooms. This was a significant thumbs down for us during our couples trip. There are communal tvs available downstairs, though we would have loved to have at least a small flat screen tv available in the rooms, with a small bar fridge for cold water during the night.
- Hardly any powerpoints! For our group trip, this made charging all our phones and devices overnight a nightmare. Taking a powerboard with us solved this issue during our couples trip.
Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed both our stays at Sponars and will certainly consider them again when returning next year!
We spent 2 nights at Sponars Chalet in August 2018, the overall Rating for this hotel is Average.
Located close to Perisher Ski Resort, there is a free courtesy shuttle bus service and free car parking.
Indoor heated swimming pool and steam room, bar, restaurant and games room are great.
Rooms are a little dated and could use an upgrade but were clean and comfortable with tea/coffee making facilities.
Breakfast and 3-course dinner were included in the price.
This is the second year in a row I’ve returned to stay at sponars. It’s the best value (very close to perisher) accommodation. They accommodated very well for our large mixed group, having ski hire onsite is so easy and the facilities, bar, lounge and games room are awesome. Dinner and breakfast has quite a few options and I think was even more delicious this year! Only thing to keep in mind is the morning traffic driving to perisher can be anywhere from a 10 min - 50 min drive, but not much can be done about that obviously.
All round great value, lovely hosts and make for an excellent ski weekend. We’ll be back!
A great weekend at Sponars! Positives - Great food (room rate includes full english breakfast and 3 course dinner) Lively atmosphere and great weekend entertainment. Well stocked ski hire accommodating for all of our needs. 15 mins to the slopes using the complimentary shuttle bus. Great steam room and pool to use at the end of day skiing. Suggestions for the future - maybe extend the bar opening time on a weekend, chalet style rooms are a little dated and could use an upgrade. We stayed in a 2 b/room suite sleeping six. Coffee making facilities only in 1 room and with only 1 bathroom between 6 does make for some tight time management. Overall a great weekend and would recommend Sponars
We had driven passed Sponars many times over the years and had always wanted to have a look inside. The opportunity arose to take our granddaughter down for first time. On looking for accommodation we found a great deal at Sponars for our weekend stay. Breakfast and dinner were included in the price and both meals included a large selection of choices.
There is a large comfortable lounge area with live music on Friday and Saturday nights. There's a ski hire shop for purchasing any forgotten items and of course renting equipment.
A large heated swimming pool is also available to help soak away your aches and pains after a day on the slopes.
A nice touch is the T bar where you can make a lovely cup of herbal tea for no charge plus a little coffee bar where they sell delicious coffees, hot chocs etc. plus your room gas tea and coffee makint facilities.
Sponars is located approx 8 klms from Perisher/Smiggins but there is a shuttle bus to take you there and back twice a day so no worries about finding parking.
The room was your standard chalet accommodation with nothing fancy but everything you need.
It just looks so beautiful perched high up overlooking Digger's creek and the road to the snowfields.
We booked direct with Sponars and recieved a beautiful little hamper with lots of goodies. Our room was on the 3rd floor and there is no lift so if this is an issue for you ask for something on the lower levels.
This is definitely somewhere we would come back to stay again. Loved Sponars.