Stayed the first night of a 9 day Sicily trip in May. After collecting the car in Catania we headed to the 1 week later erupting Mount Etna. Afterwards we directed the BMW to Taormina-Guardini where we stayed at B&B Sottocoperta which opened in 2013 and is run by a lovely Sicilian family. Great warm start of the Sicily holiday and how much did we know Sottocoperta would turn out to be an exception, not the rule of Sicily. As we had the rental car we didn't want to stay up the hill in touristy (and very beautiful) Taormina. We needed a quiet parking spot in hectic Sicily on our first day...
The son welcomed us and was great for local knowledge as he took his time to explain where I could throw out my fishing rod and have a bite. Sadly so, I had eaten a bad peace of pizza on Mount Etna which messed up the culinary start of the trip the first days...
The best of the B&B must be the DAD of the family! After all those years B&B-ing, the good man is still enthusiastic to talk to his guests. Really good.
Dear Sir, you were totally right, there is no need to stay in Cefalu, just visit the highlights and get the hell out!
(Actually, my review about the Cefalu hotel will be horror to read, it was a total mess with the owner of the hotel physically attacking me the day after we made a complaint. Never ever had this in 30 years traveling the world - welcome to Sicily, really this is the EU???? Mismanagement pure).
- clean and very quiet room, warm interior.
- good pass through location.
- good parking.
- breakfast was very very good.
- lovely family running it, the dad was a source of fantastic info!
- really great value for money.
- bit of climbing till you are on the rooftop where the great breakfast is prepared by mum.
We arrived quite late by train from Napoli & were so happy when the pleasant lady said that she did have a room. She even arranged a pizza for us, 10pm at night in this very quiet area. So hot pizza & cold beer on the lovely roof top terrace before going to bed in one of the most charming bed rooms ever; full of delightful little touches.
Turns out that owner is an interior decorator too.
Could easily stay here for a month- lovely views, if it was not so pricey.
We stayed here for 2 nights. The B&B is well situated opposite the station which is shared with Giardini Naxos. Don’t let the location at the bottom of the hill put you off - it’s a hike up into town, but there are regular buses up to Taormina from the station (last one back from Taormina was at 2115 - you can get tickets for the trip up on the bus or from the bar at the station). There’s also a taxi rank at the station but it’s a fixed €15 each way.
Breakfast was good and the room was very clean. Plenty of information available from really friendly hosts. We both slept incredibly well here - I wanted to take the mattress home with me.
While we were here we did an excellent half day trip up Mt. Etna with Etna People who picked us up from the hotel and can highly recommend that too.
The internet was not the best and was quite slow but did allow for messaging home.
The location is good especially if you have a car like we did. There is a free car park opposite in the train station car park. It is also a reasonable walk to the more busy and noisy Giardini Naxos, it was much quieter at this end of Taormina and being near the station meant you can take the train to other destinations or the bus that stopped outside the station.
Breakfast was nice and the host prepared fresh eggs and meat and cheese every morning as well as providing other things to eat each morning.
Alessandra our host was very helpful and this family run business was very warm and the whole place has a lovely feeling about it.
The room was great and a nice size with a good bathroom and ample bedroom in a very nice marine themed room.
There is a sea view from the balcony in the breakfast room and the beaches and cable car to old Taormina are a short distance away, the beach walkable the cable car buy bus or car.
1. Very friendly staff, especially Marco (if I remember correctly, it is the name of the the head of the family who holds the property)
2. free public parking which possess enough space
3. spacious bathroom
4. good price for this region
1. breakfast was good, but with very limited choice
2. no elevator to the rooms and difficult to access to the building entrance from the street
3. illumination is not well designed and planned in the bathroom, so despite the huge mirror, visibility is limited
4. although it was occasional, but upon our arrival internet was offline due to technical issues, but it took almost 3 days until fixed.
5. no outside view from the room, but only from the public space
6. the bed was very hard, so it was very uncomfortable ....
7. all the power outlets require adaptors even if you are from the European country