For a number of reasons, Rent A Room is not recommended.
1) The building in which the rooms are located is next to an active construction site. A large new building is being erected next door. Construction noise starts Monday through Saturday before 08:00 and continues until 18:00. The foundation of the new building is not yet complete, indicating that construction probably will continue through much of 2019.
2) Rent A Room's building is ramshackle, dilapidated, dirty and poorly maintained. Many flats are empty, suggesting the building is scheduled to be torn down soon.
3) Hallways have no ventilation and often have a strong smell of sewer gas. The odor seeps into the room.
4) Internet service is extremely poor - unbearably slow and often cutting out.
5) Trash is not removed from the room each day.
6) Reserving a specific type of room amounts to little more than a wish. Upon arrival, you may find that the type of room you reserved is not available. You may have to take a room that does not meet your basic specifications. The assigned room may cost more than the one you reserved.
7) The room may have fleas.
8) The Rent A Room establishment is completely unmarked, suggesting that it may not be a properly licensed and regulated enterprise.
These factors more than offset Rent A Room’s main positive attribute, its location in close proximity to Jordan MTR Station Exit E.
I went to Hong Kong with my family to visit our relatives. This was our second time booking this place, the last time we booked and lived here was 2015. It wasn't that bad living here for the first time until the manager/landlord left, the new manager/landlord made this place even worse.
My parents gave a deposit for a room with a double size bed and two single beds. As we arrived, the manager said he gave the room to another family instead because he didn't want to wait a month for us to arrive, so he rented it to another family instead and he gave us a room with two double size beds to live for two weeks until that family checks out of the room we supposedly deposited for. At first when we went in we were wondering why there was only one double size bed until the assistant manager told us we had to go THROUGH the kitchen to enter the other room.
The room he gave us was so bad my parents tried to discuss to the manager if it was possible to get a different room. Instead he threatened us by saying "If you're not happy about your new room, I can return the money to you and you can go rent somewhere else". (Note: This was the second day of Hong Kong) Therefore what he said, we have to keep quiet, wait and live in that room until we could return to our ACTUAL room that we've actually deposited our money for.
After we got to check in to the room that we've ACTUALLY DEPOSITED, it was terrible as well.
1. The TV was damaged
2. The shower couldn't release cold water
3. There were cracks on the wall
4. There was ants crawling around the kitchen area
5. The double size's bed frame was broken
6. The air in the room was so filthy my family and I ended being sick
The only nice thing I can say is everyone besides the manager was very nice and looked after us very well, they would help us and give us the best service they could give us.
Rated there for almost a week and found that the toilet drainage was clogged on the first night and unable to shower as the water was flooded and flowing into the room! Informed the office and 2 of the domestic helpers tried to fix but not able to. Requested change of rooms as will be staying there for several nights but was given access to another rooms toilet just for the night to shower and was told that the cliff would be fixed the next day. Went out the next day and came back late night and found the toilet was still clogged!! Went to the office to ask what's going on and was confronted by an old man, who was the owner. He said he had tried but unable to fix so I had to live with it!! I don't know why a plumber wasn't called to fix and he probably tried to do it himself to save a few $$$!!! I asked for a change of room but was told very rudely that all rooms are occupied and I can less if I wanted to!! Very rude and poor service!! Had to shower at friends hotel for the next few nights and finally left the place! Room was extremely tiny bit the poor facilities and poor service has put me off. The towels were smelly and had holes as if it was terribly worn out or rats had chewed through them. Will not return there again, there are other good hotels in the area. NOT RECOMMENDED!
I was there in december 2013. That was the cold season with temperatures at about 10 celcius at night. My room had NO proper heater system. The owners claimed that the heater works on a "quota". Besides that, we not only had to WAIT for the water to become warm, the warm water that we eventually got would probably last for a minute before it became freezing cold again! Owners did nothing to help us with this. The price we paid for the room wasnt that cheap either.
The only good thing about this place is that it's opposite Jordan station.
Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for just under a month. We paid for a 3 person room as the standard double was far too small. The price was a little expensive but everywhere is in Hong Kong unfortunately. The room we stayed in was also small but not in comparison with the standard double.
The room was simple with a safe, TV (with one English channel), a desk and chair, book shelf, small wardrobe, fridge, double bed and a single bed. The room also had a wet room bathroom with a toilet, sink and shower with a slide door. On the other side of the slide door was an extremely small kitchenette with simple a sink and two cupboards. We were also provided with a hot plate and kettle to cook with but we only cooked simple things a handful of times...far too small to do anything with.
There is WI-FI in the room and it's pretty good although it gets slow sometimes on an evening as I suppose everyone is using it.
There is also air conditioning in the room which is good because you will need it! Hong Kong is extremely hot and humid.
There are washing machines and dryers on the complex but you have to pay the deposit for a key and also for the month or however long you are staying but it's a reasonable price. We used the machines and they were pretty good.
The location is good in Jordan with Temple Street Market fairly close - we did a lot of shopping there and it was our favourite market. There are also other shops and restaurants close by and the Rent-a-room entrance is outside exit E on the second floor of the shopping center. Can be a little tricky to find if you are a first timer but it's very close to the subway. Ideal for travelling.
The staff were very friendly and willing to help. Always had a smile on their faces and this was definitely the highlight of this place.