I read reviews about the poor sound insulation, so I rang up the staff in advance to ask if I could get a room where it is further away from the lift/stairs so that I won't be distracted by noise because I am a light sleeper. They accommodated so fast and Spencer at the reception was such a wonderful person to chat with! He was super friendly and inviting, and totally raised the morale.
I booked a Deluxe Double and although it was a small room, I really liked the interior. The bathroom was beautiful. Bed was hard and slightly springy (perfect, I dislike soft beds). TV was alright but it isn't a smart TV, but it's cool. There are bedside tables and charger ports. Room also had a card in it other than the card we got, so it was convenient if my partner had to leave to get something and I can just stay in the room to do my work.
Some visible wear and tear can be seen in the room though, like walls or window panes having cracked paint or losing colour, or the black floor having scratches and marks that were not painted over. It does not really bother me though, as long as it is clean.
However some downsides:
- Found 2 baby brown-banded cockroaches. Killed both.
- The floor under the bed is pretty dusty.
- The mugs and metal spoons were not cleaned. I saw coffee ground stains and had to rewash them thoroughly using hand soap.
- Mini-fridge was not very cold and it was not clean.
- Toilet bowl was not scrubbed clean (bowl had stains).
- Plastic cups provided in the bathroom for brushing were not clean either.
- The soap dispenser bottles have some stains.
- I suppose this comes with being a shophouse-hotel, sound insulation is still not that good because around 2am, I can still hear noise from the outside.
- The water in the shower will turn colder the longer you stay in the shower.
Thank you Spencer and Team for making our style a pleasant one. We truly appreciate your hospitality and for making us feel welcomed.
Spencer was really friendly and the conversations we had with him was lax, casual and as if talking to a good friend. He made the experience a whole lot more enjoyable by recommending what to eat around there and of course with his jokes along the way to brighten the conversation.
The room was cleaned and well maintained, with a unique touch of a monochromatic theme to really stand out from your usual hotel room. although the TV does not have a HDMI input for our movie night, we ended watching channels such as HBO, Fox Movies and Chinese classics.
Price was also very reasonable given the location; we were surrounded by a food haven and a few minutes walk from Chinatown Point / Chinatown Complex.
Overall, it was a wonderful stay this National Day weekend! Thank you team once again .
Stayed 1 night in mono. I would say it was kind of disappointing seeing how good the reviews were. Comfort level was not there.
1. Good location
2. Polite staff
1. Room was small, the table was small and uncomfortable, how can anyone possibly use their laptop and work there if need to.
2. Room is very bare and basic, the finishing wasn't good, wall paint dirty at some areas, it is just pretty raw, I hate the floor tiles.
3. Aircon could not be switched off when it gets too cold, u can only turn it up.
4. The room was damp in the morning, condensation on the floor tiles, floor was damp, u can't go bare foot, even the room slippers make u slip cos the floor was wet.
5. Bedsheets felt like it had a sticky layer, I have probably slept in at least 20-30 hotels room cos I have been travelling for 30 years and stayed in budget/business/luxury hotel and apartments, but never encountered bed sheets that felt like this. I could hardly sleep.
6. Noise, its true, u can hear people walking, talking along corridors, and tv noise from other rooms. pretty bad.
7. Toilet shower head was mouldy.
This boutique hotel is conveniently located a stone’s throw away from Chinatown MRT, just walk past a row of shophouses and you’ll see the distinct black-and-white 3-storey shophouse that has been converted into Hotel Mono.
The room is surprisingly spacious for a shophouse boutique hotel and very clean. Every furniture is only in black and white colors. Unique monotone. We have two comfortable queen beds with four pillows on each bed, a sofa bed, a fixed long table to the wall that can seat two persons. There is also a proper wardrobe for us to hang our clothes and a side bench to put our bags and luggage. The bathroom is not big but sufficient, and we love the scent of the body wash and shampoo. The bath towels are also soft and fluffy.
This hotel doesn’t have the luxury of swimming pool, gym or restaurant/cafe but it’s good enough for a short staycation. Finding food is not a problem as there are a lot of eateries and restaurants in the area, and you can also walk over to Chinatown Point and People’s Park Complex for a great variety of food.
Will we be back to Hotel Mono? Most probably and this time we may try the loft room with the loft bed, and when dining out is allowed again.
Room is smaller than expected although true to pictures.
The front office staff were absolutely kind and friendly.
Basic toiletries are provided in a pouch; shampoo, bathing soap, sanitary bag, toothbrush set, shaving kit, slippers, hairdryer etc.
Two towels per set, consisting of a large and small one.
Water kettle is provided, along with coffee and tea.
Windows can be opened.
Surrounding is amazing as there were so many food options.
Walking distance to Chinatown MRT & Chinatown Point.
Recommended restaurant: 东方美食
Some room for improvement:
The mini fridge is not very cold.
Cleanliness could be better as there are a couple small ants on the table, bedside tables were a little dusty.
Overall, very happy with the stay due to the convenience and basic comfort for the price paid. Would be keen to try the larger room types in the future.