I had booked this property after searching in google for home stay near chikkamagalur using google maps. Here are my experiences.
1. Location is awesome. Its close to most of the attractions in chikkamagalur. The home stay itself is surrounded by coffee plantation. So if you are looking for a calm and relax stay, this is the place to go
2. All the cottages have good views, so no matter which cottage you get out of 4, all are equally good. Also they are all very neat and clean. Always there was a provision for hot water. The rooms are provided with TV, Soap and Towels.
3. The food here is exceptional, especially the local cuisine they prepare here is top notch in taste, which makes you feel at home away from home.
4. The staff here are polite, cooperative. We had a baby with us, wanted to cook baby food by ourselves. The staff obliged happily to let us cook in their kitchen, also gave us fresh milk to prepare baby food.
Also whenever we had asked for coffee, they gave it with a smile, which tasted so good that we had to ask for one more cup
The owners are also polite and nice. They have been here only for 6 generations.
5. The drive to reach the home stay makes you feel calm and peaceful.
Few inputs to the management:
- In winter, it would be a good idea to have kettle available in each room, for having hot water.
- The tv looks small for a spacious cottage, can get bigger :)
Overall we enjoyed our stay here for 2days, and would like to come back again here with whole family.
There is a lot I want to stay about this property. People assume that having a good property (location, mansion, area) is sufficient enough to run a hospitality business. But in reality, it is not!! "Hospitable" is the base word of Hospitality which means "friendly and welcoming to guests". And the people at Nirvana Kutira were nothing close to that. Of which you will be convinced as you read my review.
I will first talk about the good things - Location, situated in Kamira, this is admidst coffee estate so the weather is cool and there is thick foliage all around. It is reasonably close to sight seeing points, yet you have your space. The property consists of 4-5 cottages, and you have access to the estate as well. Rooms are clean and spacious. Food is freshly prepared and tasty.
And now the cons -
1) The staff are really rude and unaccommodating. There is one main lady Asha who manages the place, and the little conversations I had with her reminded me of my college days in a girls hostel. Right from the time we entered, she behaved like she was doing a favour by letting us stay in her house. She would frown whenever we asked her for a dosa, a cup of coffee, an extra bowl.. or almost anything. She hated making chapatis and dosa and would make the least as possible. In the evening, she insisted of serving tea sharp at 5pm.. when we asked her for a cup at 4:30pm and 7pm we were flatly denied. She always had the grumpiest face and even forced me to lift my plates when I was done eating. Both me and my friend felt harassed by her.
2) Also, she and other attendents could only communicate in Kannada. Now I understand that it is the state language and I respect it, but if you are in the hospitality business you need to be aware of the fact that not everyone will know the language, hence you need to have atleast 1 person attending who can speak English.
3) The food spread was quite limited compared to the price charged. Lunch was ok, but the dinner was too less. There were 3 types of rice and rice balls, sambar and curd. No veggies, no fried dish. This was very disappointed. As mentioned earlier, we were denied helpings of coffee. Coffee should ideally be stored in a flask where guests can have as many cups as they want.
4) Rooms were clean, but the amenities did not justify the price. There was no water, no kettle, no toileteries (except a small soap) provided.
5) The owners, staff, absolutely no one had a smile on their face. Extremely unwelcoming.
6) Driver facilities were pathetic. They told us driver can sleep in the security room, but at night it was locked and when the driver asked the lady Asha, she did not help out. Due to which he had to sleep in the car. Food was charged at Rs.1000 for the driver, which is ridiculous.
7) Overall, the place has a very hostel/prison type of environment. They do not know how to take care of the guests.
8) Price is Rs. 3000 per person.. and not on room basis.
By honest advice, those the property seems good in pictures, do not go for this if you want to have a pleasant vacation. You will leave feeling bitter and disappointed. There are many other homestays in Kaimara area. You can give Thipanahalli, Thotadalli, Coffee Bean a try.
We were a group of 9 (two families) who visited Chikmagalur in the first week of May. Located in the lush greenery of a coffee estate in the foothills of Mullayanagiri, Nirvana Kutira was a perfect place for our weekend getaway. The approach road lined with a canopy of trees itself is very welcoming. The staff were very friendly and spent good time with us, like a family. The rooms are very clean and well maintained. They offer great views. They are spacious and can accommodate 4 adults easily. We took only 2 rooms for the 9 of us. Each room has a backyard lined with flowering plants. The food was homely and tasty, very hygienic. They make sure they prepare the food according to the guest's taste-buds. This place if for all kinds of people (be it couple, family or friends) and for all age groups (even my grandmother would enjoy her stay here).
I would totally recommend Nirvana Kutira to anyone looking for a nature getaway to unwind, relax and breathe in that fresh air.
Just back from a refreshing 2 night stay at Nirvana Kutira. We were 2 adults and 2 small kids.
Everything was just perfect. Very hospitable hosts. Amazing homely food (plus it is vegetarian). They tried to balance it between North Indian and regional cuisines. On the first day I forgot to inform that we will not be arriving for lunch and they actually kept waiting for us for lunch way after the lunch time was over.
The views were amazing. They showed us their estate and plantations which was quite an enriching experience.
They could probably think of adding a swing or a slide for kids. The owner Ms Ashwini did mention that she was planning to get one added as well. So hopefully the next time our kids will enjoy that as well.
Overall a blissful place. If you are looking for a nice cosy, homestay experience with great views you should look at booking with them. Don't go there if you are looking for room service and other luxury amenities. Also do try and book in advance. They seem to get sold out pretty fast.
We had an impromptu idea to visit Chikmagalur with family ( 4 kids & 2 adults). Nirvana Kutira was one of the few places that had a room. We enjoyed the stay as the climate was really nice with a constant good drizzle. We stayed in the main building ton the 1st floor that had a huge living room with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. This roomsare good for a group of folks compared to cottages. Also, please note that this place is at the foothills of the mountains and not in the mountains/elevation. Some of the observations are:
1. Rooms are clean and well maintained (basic). It is also rather newly constructed in Oct 2016.
2. The food (vegetarian only served) was really homely and well tasting. Asha ( caretaker and cook) was hospitable and was able to provide a few dishes with less spice ( specially for kids)
3. The family that owns this place , also is responsible for a shiva temple and mutt next door. This place is worth a visiting ( 3 mins walk) and the surroundings are lush green.
1. There is nothing to do at the place as it just has rooms and a carrom board. If there are kids, you may want to get your own shuttle, football and other play items.
2. The rooms that we stayed are newly constructed and the red oxide floor treatment is faulty. All the kids dresses and our feet had the RED redoxide coating which was a pain to get off. This needs to be addressed immediately. The living room also sprung a few water leaks from roof and needs to be addressed.
3. The couple who run the place unfortunately were on vacation the week we went and hence did not have a chance to converse and get a bit of their history etc ( as other reviewers were able to). We basically did not have any one to guide to good places. This is a problem as none of the airtel or vodofone networks work and there no way to browze or call anyone.
All in all, We had a good time and with a few improvements like having a landline fixed and some of the construction glitches, this can be a good place to unwind.