The thought of spending a night in Georgetown after going to the Chap Goh Meh celebrations at Esplanade was a great idea. We chose to stay at Kimberley because of its stragetic location. We could enjoy the abundant street food, check out the bazaar at the wet market at Penang Road and the little stalls that sold knick knacks like clothings, bags and pickled fruits and herbs at the Chinese medical halls. The nice thing about this part of town was the big malls where we could walked in to cool down after walking for many kilometres in the hot blazing sun. A great experience for hubby and I and a good break of our daily routine from the other side of the island. We chose the right hotel and found the staff to be friendly especially the cleaning foreign male staff who did a good job of maintaining the bedrooms.
+ Location is very central, close to all sorts of food and attractions
+ Has private parking space within the hotel
+ Check in staff was very helpful and did her best to make me comfortable by arranging for a change of room when I told her I was uncomfortable in the first room I was given
+ Checking in and out was swift and hassle free
- Dampness upon entering the room for the first time
- The bedding system was old, 3 out of 4 pillows had stains on it and the one i slept on smelled
- Shower area did not have a shower screen and the entire toilet would be wet (dries within 2 hours)
- Room had tea making facilities but no tea or coffee
- Bath amenities were bare minimum (toothbrush, shower cap)
Kimberley hotel is recommended:
1) Breakfast is simple yet delicious
2) Location is excellent as it is close
to Kimberley Street hawker food,
Teochew chendol and Chowrasta market
3) Hotel is also close to Prangin Mall
and 1st Avenue as well as Komtar
4) Hotel rate is reasonable
5) Family suite is spacious with private
Had a decent stay the hotel. Fantastic location and friendly welcome. The room were a bit smaller than I imagined from the pictures. I wished that slippers came with the room without charge.
the new times for the room services should be told to the guests as the menu contained the old times. I called reception once before 10pm and they said they have changed the hours and they didn’t tell me the new hours. I called room service another day at an earlier time and said kitchen closed at 3pm, the hours on the menu was pre-covid. The staff member on the telephone said that they have not changed the time on the menu because there are too many menus to change.
The room service hours needs to be communicated with the guest clearly if they have changed or else like we just have to rely on what we have which is the menu provided. It was a shame considering I really did want to try the food.
- Spoil by the food from breakfast to supper. All within walking distance.
- Strong water shower and consistent hot water at all time.
- Fake window view. (No view, just the opposite room window within arm length)
- Very noisy in the morning when the house keeper doing their round pushing the trolley/ carts.
The room is cozy, good bed, soft pillow. Had a good sleep after long walk.