Looking for a place to stay in Asheville? Then look no further than Days Inn by Wyndham Asheville/Mall, a family-friendly hotel that brings the best of Asheville to your doorstep.
Guest rooms offer amenities such as a flat screen TV, and guests can go online with free wifi offered by the hotel.
The property also features a pool and free breakfast to make your visit even more pleasant. Guests arriving by vehicle have access to free parking.
Close to some of Asheville's most popular landmarks, such as Thomas Wolfe Memorial (1.5 mi) and Biltmore Village (1.5 mi), Days Inn by Wyndham Asheville/Mall is a great destination for tourists.
Asheville has plenty of Italian restaurants. So when you’re here, be sure to check out popular spots like Cucina 24, Twisted Laurel, and Vinnie's Neighborhood Italian, which are serving up some great dishes.
There is no shortage of things to do in the area: explore popular waterfalls such as Linnville Falls.
We’re sure you’ll enjoy your stay at Days Inn by Wyndham Asheville/Mall as you experience everything Asheville has to offer.
People wanted to fight me after a small fender bender in the parking lot. Man screaming and demanding money. He was very scary and covered in sores and scabs. He became afraid when I threatened to call the police. All this at 8:30 in the morning before I go to work.
Both Rooms I Received Were Not Clean Roaches On headboards Crawling Across Tvs Pictures And Videos If How Nasty Rooms Were Contacted Mangement Two Days Ago Still Have Yet To Hear Back From Him In Regards To My Issue
I have been trying to reach the manager Aaron but he has been unavailable. We had to change rooms once we checked in due to the light over the sink not turning off completely. Once in the new room, we turned the heat on and went to bed. Around 2am we woke up sweating and had to open the room door to cool off. It was 27 outside and 110 (felt like) in the room. Temp was set on 70. We lowered the temp on the heater to the lowest setting. After an hour we went back to bed. Woke up around 4am having to repeat the "cool off" process as it was just as hot as hours before. Not being able to leave the door open, we went back to bed around 5:15am having turned off the heater completely at this point. Finally slept from 6am-7am. We had a busy schedule and called the front desk about the heat issue. We were advised that maintenance would take care of it. That night my partner was watching the game and had to have the air on, then the heat, then the air. Needless to say the problem was NOT addressed. We slept with the air on then heat off and on throughout the night...it was horrible. Sunday morning my partner flipped the light switch on the wall at the entry of the room to turn the bedside light on. Sparks flew out of the switch and the room went dark. My partner had been shocked. Hair on her arms was standing up straight! She stood there for a few mins trying to recover. I took my boot over my hand and turned the light back on. Wanting to leave before anything else bad happened, we wanted to at least shower. When she grasped the handle on the shower to turn it on, the handle came off in her hand! This is completely unacceptable and I will never go back there again & recommend that no one else does. When I told the clerk while checking out about the issues she said she could give me a $25.00 credit or I could talk to the manager. I have yet been able to do so and was charged full price for 2 sleepless nights and having my partner get shocked and not being able to shower. The manager Aaron emailed me on 12/23 saying he would look into the issue and let me know his findings on that same afternoon. To date, I've heard nothing from him or his staff. I've called, emailed and left messages. I've tried to reach the owner of the property but have been unsuccessful. Don't waste your money here.…
Actually very disgusting property. Very old, not maintained, rooms not clean, terrible odors, holes in walls. I was with a group of 6 women, all had our own rooms, three had to change rooms due to severe lack of cleanliness. One bathtub literally had hairs from “down there” still in it. My carpet hadn’t been vacuumed in at least days if not weeks. Dumpsters on property had homeless living next to them. Main desk was rude when asked for more towels, let alone anything else. If we hadn’t been so close to where we needed to be, and other things sold out for New Years weekend, we would have switched hotels in a blink of an eye. Management told us the hotel “had been sold and we aren’t fixing anything”...pretty bad experience.
The images speak forthemelseves. I tried speaking to front desk, stating my critter finding in my room and all I recieved were new pillow cases, granola and a "check out is at 11 ma'am". I really hope Managment corrects this location and appreciates customers as I who endured such unprofessionalism and overall uncleanliness.