We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to USA through Canada. Do i need a transit visa

Lima, Peru
3 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to USA through Canada. Do i need a transit visa

Hi,

I am a bit confused regarding the Canada transit visa requirements. hopefully someone here can help me.

I am a citizen of Peru, travelling from India to USA. I have a flight connection at toronto pearson intnl airport. The incoming and outgoing flights are from terminal 1 so i dont have to change terminals. And since I am travelling to USA I of course have a valid US visa. I only have 3 hours to change my planes on the same day.

As per this link cic.gc.ca/english/…travellers.asp it is quite clear that I dont require a visa to transit. But then I see other pages in the portal suggesting that I do need it.

Please can anyone help me with this. Thanks a lot.

31 replies to this topic
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,327 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to USA through Canada. Do i need a transit visa

You do not need a visa.

The information on a T1-T1 international-USA transfer can be found here. Just plug in the relevant info.

https:/…

Edited: 15 November 2016, 03:48
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,539 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to USA through Canada. Do i need a transit visa

The linked page does not include any reference to citizens of Peru that I could see.

The Canadian ETA page is quite clear that you need a visa to enter or transit via Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Edit - Seems to be conflicting info on different websites

Edited: 15 November 2016, 03:51
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,327 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to USA through Canada. Do i need a transit visa

"The Canadian ETA page is quite clear that you need a visa to enter or transit via Canada."

Not for a straight T1-T1 transfer to the USA. You don't need to enter Canada at all. You go straight to the US immigration and customs.

Edited: 15 November 2016, 03:52
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,539 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to USA through Canada. Do i need a transit visa

"Not for a straight T1-T1 transfer to the USA. You don't need to enter Canada at all. You go straight to the US immigration and customs."

I agree that's what it says on the airport website but it makes no reference to that situation on the eTA website which I suppose is more generic in nature

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to USA through Canada. Do i need a transit visa

Interesting stuff . . . . Here is the Timatic page for a Peru national, destination USA & Transit Canada, which is (allegedly) exactly what a check in desk staff will be reading. And based on that you would be denied boarding for not having the required visa.

Transit - Canada (CA)

Passport

Passport required.

Document Validity:

Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid for the period of intended stay.

Visa

Visa required.

Additional Information:

Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay and documents required for their next destination.

Warning:

Visitors not holding return/onward ticket could be refused entry.

Edited: 15 November 2016, 04:02
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to USA through Canada. Do i need a transit visa

The link wouldn't work, it was too long :-((

Try this one - http://tinyurl.com/z8xeefm

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,327 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to USA through Canada. Do i need a transit visa

If you have to change terminals, or you are using T3, you do have to enter Canada and therefore need the appropriate visa.

A straight T1-T1 transit to the USA does not require entry into Canada.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to USA through Canada. Do i need a transit visa

Hmmm . . . . That seems to be irrelevant

Timatic says - you need a visa :: The Canadian GOV page says - you need a visa :: The TWOV page (linked to by the OP) says - you need a visa

*unless* you are from Indonesia : Thailand : Taiwan or Philippines

{quote from TWOV page}

Nationals from the following countries qualify for the Transit Without Visa (TWOV) program:

Indonesia Thailand Taiwan Philippines

{end quote}

Seems clear enough to me, unless you are from 1 of those 4 countries you cannot transit without visa. Taken form here - cic.gc.ca/english/…travellers.asp

which is in the OP's OP !!!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,327 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to USA through Canada. Do i need a transit visa

Here is what AC has to say on the subject: (I am assuming that the OP is flying AC.)

aircanada.com/en/…yyz_intl_us.html

You do not need to retrieve your checked baggage. Your bags will be transferred to your connecting flight.

Follow signage to F gates (red arrows).

Clear security.

Enter the U.S. Connection Hall, find the next available kiosk and scan your boarding pass; follow the instructions on the screen.

Proceed through U.S. customs.

Go to your departure gate (on lower levels).

AC will know that despite what Timatic might advise Emirates that a visa is not needed for this particular transit (although it definitely is for others, including INT-USA).

Edited: 15 November 2016, 04:36
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,868 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to USA through Canada. Do i need a transit visa

A straight T1-T1 transit to the USA does not require entry into Canada.

=========

That doesn't matter. It's what the Canadian government says, not the airport. And remember many citizens require air side transit visas when transiting in the UK, even though at Heathrow they won't be entering the UK.

Reply to: Travelling to USA through Canada. Do i need a transit visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted