We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please advise - denied boarding a flight (visa validity...

1 post
Save Topic
Please advise - denied boarding a flight (visa validity...

Hello guys,

Just wanted to know what your thoughts would be on the issue of someone being denied to board a flight to a country when the passenger doesn't have a valid visa (of country flying to) at the time of departure but the visa's valid at the time of arrival at the destination airport?

Eg let's say my day of travel from the UK (UK student visa, Indian passport, to a EU Schengen country on tourist visa) is on 10th around 9 pm with the Schengen visa validity starting from the 11th. However, my schedule arrival time in the Schengen country is after midnight - meaning my visa is valid at the time of arrival.

I know the airline carrier is well within their rights to deny boarding but what are rules of travel in this example. I'm not entering in a country without a valid visa! Please advise

Thanks

17 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,862 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please advise - denied boarding a flight (visa validity...

Is this a hypothetical situation?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Please advise - denied boarding a flight (visa validity...

I would never cut anything that fine. I would arrange my flights within my Visa validity period, but I have a low tolerance for risk.

UK
Level Contributor
6,781 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please advise - denied boarding a flight (visa validity...

Your visa needs to be valid when you arrive - which it wil be. And landing before midnight would, presumably, be a physical impossibility.

If this was a case of travelling on the last day of your visa I could see a problem. But it's not, you are arriving on the first day that your visa is valid. I can't really see how they can deny you boarding.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,289 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please advise - denied boarding a flight (visa validity...

The airline will be looking to see that you have what is needed to enter the country concerned, at the time when the flight reaches that country, which you say is after midnight (presumably local, not UK time) according to the airline's own schedule.

Departing London at 21:00 hrs, you could arrive in certain Schengen countries before midnight (e.g.

Belgium, France..) but as the continent (except Portugal) is 1 hr ahead of the UK, 21:00 hrs is already 22:00 hrs in most of Schengen. So as long as the flight is 2+ hours long (and even Lisbon is about 3 hrs from London), it is due to land in the Schengen country concerned on the 11th, which is the day your visa is valid from. I really don't see on what basis an airline COULD deny boarding.

Edited: 26 June 2017, 07:37
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please advise - denied boarding a flight (visa validity...

Don't risk it. I believe there is an old thread here where someone was denied boarding under similar circumstances.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
822 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please advise - denied boarding a flight (visa validity...

Sorry (not sorry), but that's a really dumb plan.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please advise - denied boarding a flight (visa validity...

"Sorry (not sorry), but that's a really dumb plan."

Karen.......why do you say this?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,515 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please advise - denied boarding a flight (visa validity...

while I agree that it should not be an issue, you are asking the wrong people for advice -- we can give it -- it is free -- but we are not the people who will be checking you in or looking at your passport -- the airline or their GSA will -- So please call the airline and speak to a supervisor and get their name and the info so that you don't get into issues -- ideally I would want a written reply.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,556 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please advise - denied boarding a flight (visa validity...

A visa needs to be valid on the day of the arrival.

Your problem is not with immigration but only maybe with check-in staff. Many people do this as Schengen visa get frequently issued based on a flight ticket and the request of the passenger.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,713 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please advise - denied boarding a flight (visa validity...

It would help if you gave us your destination in the Schengen Area. Are we talking about a flight scheduled to land at 0001 on the day your visa becomes valid or (say Greece) at 0230?

I agree it won't be immigration staff that are the issue but the airline check-in agent, so you'd be dependent on his/her brain cell count, and that of their supervisor if one shows up which could be after check on closes. So if you plan to do this plan to show up three hours before your departure in case of any issues.

If you haven't yet booked flights then to avoid hassle I'd book to fly out the morning that your Schengen visa becomes valid. Then there will be no hassle to deal with.

Reply to: Please advise - denied boarding a flight (visa validity...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted