We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to Canada

st helens
Level Contributor
494 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to Canada

Hi

I'm looking to book flights for June next year from manchester or London to Winnipeg.

I'm struggling to find a decent airline to fly with at a reasonable price.

Looked at westjet, airtransat, canada rouge all have flights for around the £550 but they all get rubbish reviews.

Anyone any advice of who to fly with or should I wait a bit longer to see if the better airlines reduce their prices.

Thanks in advance

15 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to Canada

I would wait til new year as there will be more options then

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,106 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to Canada

Who do you consider the 'better' airlines? In economy they are all pretty much similar. As to what will happen to prices in the future, no one can say for certain what will happen.

Toronto
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to Canada

You very unlikely to see a price point lower than that. The ones that you listed are the low-cost carriers. The regular airlines such as BA or Air Canada will be costlier.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,410 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights to Canada

Looked at westjet, airtransat, canada rouge all have flights for around the £550 but they all get rubbish reviews

--------------

Most people don't review an airline and compliment it. The 3 you mention are more of the lower cost airlines, so naturally they squeeze them in a fair bit.

Consider AC mainline (non rouge), BA etc. ....but really, people love to complain about them too

That price you mention is quite low...you won't get champagne on a beer budget.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights to Canada

Also good to remember that Heathrow and Toronto are two costly airports to transit through. Iceland Air is usually a less costly option from Europe to Canada but not likely to allow a connection to Winnipeg on same ticket.

Canada
Level Contributor
6,210 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights to Canada

Usually people only write about their nasty experiences . How many positive reviews on airlines have you written?

Manchester...
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights to Canada

are you looking at a return flight too and I assume they're would be at least one change of aircraft..?

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights to Canada

Cheap prices generally go hand in hand with less service with lots of add-ons - fees for picking your seats, checked luggage, meals. We have flown both with WestJet and AC Rouge and really can't complain about either as far as the helpfulness of their flight attendants but you don't get a lot. And, of course, these days most airlines are looking at getting as many seats cramped in as possible. Thank goodness it looks like some government regulations soon will help alleviate this problem. You've got a number of other airline options - KLM, Delta, Virgin Atlantic to name a few.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights to Canada

I agree about taking the reviews with a grain of salt. Those are the main airlines you are dealing with when you are dealing in Canada for regional low cost airlines. We just do not have the options and choice you do there. And the negative nellies like to complain. I have flown all the airlines and they are really not that bad.

The bad news is the fights *within* Canada are expensive* , so if you were simply flying to Toronto, it would be cheeper, but since you have to add the flight Winnipeg just bumps it up. If you see a decent price, I would just book it. At certain point we have had direct service for short times in the summer by charter airlines direct to London from Winnipeg, but that has always failed :(

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,417 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights to Canada

This article is worth a read: cbc.ca/news/business/air-canada-skytrax-best…

I wouldn't want to spend more than about 3 hours on a Rouge flight. Very tight fitting, no services at all, completely à la carte ticket pricing. But you could always go Premium Rouge class.

You might want to use Matrix to research flights. Research only, take notes, then book directly with the airline. I see fares starting at CA$700, not that you should buy them. You have to make sure you buy a through ticket not two or three separate tickets.

You also have to allow enough time in your Canadian arrival airport to deal with Customs and if you stay airside, if you check your luggage right through. Questions you want to ask the airline. You can also work your way through the Passenger Guides for "Connecting" in the arrival airport's website for how your connection will work. And find out the MCT needed in the city you might connect to your last flight to Winnipeg. Don't ignore flying to Calgary - the polar routes do not add more time to a flight to Calgary over a flight to Toronto. Calgary is a beautiful, small airport to connect in, whereas Toronto is not. Don't discount flying your first leg to Reykjavik or to Amsterdam either. You have the time to thoroughly look around Matrix.

Matrix: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Two pointers. At the very top right corner is a Help? link. Use it. Once you have proceeded to page 2, at the top right corner of the main blue box of flight selections are the choices of "Complete flights" and "Time bars." I like Time Bars because when you hover your mouse on a bar it shows you the initial flight, the second and third flight (if there is one) with the layover times in the grey space between the colours. The full bar shows you the overall journey time on the clock time indicator across the top.

Air Canada at the moment show a price of CA$2200+ for June. Subscribe to Air Canada's news alerts for sales. Keep an eye on Air Canada's website, especially from January next year. Prices fluctuate based on many factors and I think they will come down once the initial high prices come down.

Reply to: Flights to Canada
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted