We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Webjet Travel

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Webjet Travel

What are folks views on Webjet Travel, I have never booked with them before. Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
30 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Webjet Travel

Personally, I never book with a third party travel site because 1) they tack on extra charges and 2) I've shown up to the airport and hotels in the past and my reservations were "not there". The airline/hotel will not help with this issue if it happens because it is not their responsibility as you did not book with them. Even travel insurance couldn't save you in this case. These third party sites advertise better prices, but it may be worth the extra few bucks to book directly with the airline/hotel directly rather than deal with the potential stress if reservation doesn't go through.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Webjet Travel

First search for yourself here on TA. Just type "Webjet" and judge for yourself.

The only advantage of a third party is the promise of a lower price. In many cases this price is in reality not lower, as they sell you "lower quality" tickets (more restrictions, sep. tickets, non-direct flights etc.). If you buy these type of ticket directly from the airline (and not the one you were originally looking for) you will find them frequently at the same price. Key is to understand 100% what type of ticket they are selling you (understand the consequences).

Then there are many downsides. And unless you are an experienced traveller and understand them, they can cost you dearly.

There is the fact that you have a middle man (agency acting for and on your behalf), hence airline will not talk to you directly to make changes etc.

The T&C's of the third party shift a lot of risk to you. Read and understand them well.

There are frequently fees (they do not work for free).

Customer service is low quality (you want cheap tickets, so the save money everywhere). Opening hours can be limited and access painful and maybe via expensive phone lines.

And then you have some shonky tactics like cancelling your ticket, not booking additional services you have paid for (luggage, seat reservation etc.)

SUMMARY: Unless you are a very experienced traveller, understand the risk / reward balance and can take a financial hit if the risk is coming through, buy the tickets directly from the airline.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Webjet Travel

I've booked through Webjet a few times, never had any issues with them. The company I work for also uses Webjet for corporate bookings - no issues there either.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Webjet Travel

<<never had any issues>> The large majority of bookings with any third parties will have an issue.

The real question is, what is the benefit of booking with a third party, and is the person booking with a third party aware of the risk / reward balance.

If a company is booking, the risk is with the company.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
57,535 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Webjet Travel

>>>The large majority of bookings with any third parties will have an issue.<<<

I think Phil meant that the majority of bookings will not have a problem.

For me, though, the possible negatives of using a third party outweigh any positives. I am risk averse, I have to admit.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Webjet Travel

<<I think Phil meant that the majority of bookings will not have a problem.>>

My bad. Of course. The majority of booking will NOT have a problem.

Me, I am risk averse as well. Normally the risk / reward balance is not given. Too much risk for too little reward.

Plus, I do not like to have a middle man between me and the airline.

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Webjet Travel

Will never use these clowns again. Absolutely useless customer service (when they eventually get back to you via email). When Etihad cancelled our return flight from Berlin to Abu Dhabi, Webjet was less than helpful in re-scheduling us. They ended up recommending that we contact the airline direct to work it out! Er, isn't that what we pay you clowns do do on our behalf? Anyway, Etihad couldn't have been more helpful. Webjet couldn't have been more unhelpful. Tip for ther travellers? Never go through these third party sites. They are leeches who add no value to the process. Better to go directly through the airlines/hotels so you can confirm details with them and re-schedule if necessary. It's 2017, folks. We all have the internet. Travel companies need to go the way of Bing Crosby records. A pleasant memory which has outlived its usefulness.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,184 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Webjet Travel

Er, isn't that what we pay you clowns do do on our behalf?

-----------------

No. But you do need to be a clown to expect them to esp when it's much easier to book direct and deal with the airline direct in the first place.

Lusby
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Webjet Travel

Tried to book with Webjet yesterday. My credit card company turned down the transaction as possible fraud. So after I called the credit card company I called webjet and let them know they should resubmit the transaction. The customer service agent said the price had gone up slightly but that she would put it through. There was so much fuzz on her line I couldn't hear the numbers. The called later and said that they hadn't put it through yet because they needed my approval as the price had gone up again. I made the gentleman hang up and call me back without using the headset so I could understand the numbers over his accent. The price had gone from the 3100 I had booked at in the morning to 3900. The trip is 9 months away! I declined the tickets. All told, webjet called me over 15 times that day. Had not heard of them before, will not try to use the, again.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Webjet Travel

You just dodged a bullet.

Now, please learn and book with the airline directly.

There are many shonky OTA's out there.

If in doubt, search here on TripAdvisor or just ask a question.

Reply to: Webjet Travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted