We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International to domestic transfer time at ORD

Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
International to domestic transfer time at ORD

Hi, I have a flight from Manchester UK to Pittsburgh in December. My flight has a connection in Chicago, I have 2 hours from landing at ORD to get my connection onward to PIT.

I know the routine of clearing immigration, collecting my back and clearing customs, then recheck back and clear security, before getting my domestic flight.

I have never connected through ORD before, so I wanted to ask if people think 2 hours will be enough time?

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

9 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,538 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International to domestic transfer time at ORD

"so I wanted to ask if people think 2 hours will be enough time?" - If you have been to the USA before you should be able to speed up things using the APC machines.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/apc

A 2 hour window is tight as you have little room for a delay to the incoming flight but you might make subject to what other international arrivals land at that time - try to sit as close as possible to the front of the plane on the flight from MAN even if it means paying an extra seating charge to the airline (which I presume is AA on that route).

Don't dawdle once you get off and be ready for a brisk walk to Immigration.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
972 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International to domestic transfer time at ORD

What is your citizenship? If you're a US citizen, it'll be a bit tight but you should be okay if all is on time. However, I'd be much less tempted to take this if I were a non-US citizen. You'll have to take a (short) train ride too which can add approximately 7-10 minutes to your transfer, which doesn't seem like a lot but 10 minutes is already over 8% of your entire transfer window.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,757 posts
1,307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International to domestic transfer time at ORD

While tighter, than I would want, it might be useful knowing the airlie(s) involved, and if on one ticket, or two.

Also, when using an airport, with which I am not familiar, I research my flight numbers, to get a rough idea of terminals/concourses/Gates historically used - no guarantees those will be used on Your day of flights, but can furnish a bit of an overview, such as will a train/bus likely be involved?

Good luck,

Hunt

Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International to domestic transfer time at ORD

I am a UK citizen, but can still clear using the machine for immigration if that is better. I am travelling on a ESTA, but have been in the States more than once this year, so I think that allows me to use the machines, if it's a quicker moving line.

Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International to domestic transfer time at ORD

Hi Hunt, I am flying AA on one ticket, so at worst if I didn't make the connection, I guess they would put me on the next available flight to my onward destination.

Thanks.

Rob.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,538 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International to domestic transfer time at ORD

I guess they would put me on the next available flight to my onward destination. - Yes they will and as a repeat ESTA visitor you can use the APC machines.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: International to domestic transfer time at ORD

It's tight and you need everything to go right. We usually recommend at least three hours.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,392 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International to domestic transfer time at ORD

Remember the next "available" flight might not be the very next one so you are taking a chance of getting stuck for hours.

Overall, I would look for a later flight instead of worrying about potential delays and changing plans.

Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International to domestic transfer time at ORD

Thanks for all the advice. I will do everything I can to speed the process up, and hope for the best.

Reply to: International to domestic transfer time at ORD
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted