We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

expadia.ca non-refundable international flights're nightmare

4 posts
Save Topic
expadia.ca non-refundable international flights're nightmare

Don't book your international flight with expedia.ca. Most of their international flight are non-refundable!!! I had a recent experience of trying to cancel a Quantas Sdy to Mel flight that was booked within 24 hours, after 2 hours on the phone with 3 agents, I've learnt the following:

-Airlines give expedia.ca discounted tickets at the price of flexibility

-Common services such as 24hours cancellation that Quantas US provides doesn't apply to the tickets booked on Expedia.ca

-Basically it's a non-refundable flight, even though you barely save any money booking for expedia.ca

-Quantas would at least give credits to flight cancellation even beyond 24 hours, but if you booked on expedia.ca, too bad, your only option is to change the flight.

- It's not much cheaper than buying direct from airline. They are able to get those tickets at a lower price and sell at higher value by making them non-refundable.

Baseline is, don't book flights outside of Canada on Expedia.ca. The nightmare is not worth the couple bucks you save. Always book direct with the airline to avoid the hustle if you can.

Agency-wise, kayak is a lot better without the ridiculous non-refundable term.

I am just considering the australian domestic flight for me and my partner from SDY to MEL forfeitted, since expedia.ca is not giving the money back. Don't make the expensive mistake. Avoid expedia.ca at all cost!

20 replies to this topic
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: expadia.ca non-refundable international flights're nightmare

As has been stated time after time, it’s best to book flights directly with airlines after doing your research.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,294 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: expadia.ca non-refundable international flights're nightmare

I don't know how much you paid for your tickets but the price would have no doubt told you they were non refundable. Refundable tickets are expensive! I doubt you'd book refundable tickets direct on Qantas if you saw the price lol. Cancelling free within 24 hrs is something that airlines have to offer if you purchases tickets in the USA. You chose not to book with the airline though. Agency-wise Kayak is better? It's a search engine.

It's a pity you didn't do even basic research before booking.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,545 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: expadia.ca non-refundable international flights're nightmare

Avoid expedia.ca at all cost! - Or more accurately understand what you are buying, the majority of tickets sold by parties including booking direct with the airlines are non refundable. Very few people purchase refundable tickets which are significantly more expensive.

I'm sure that the Expedia Terms and Conditions would have included details of refunds and cancellation - did you bother to read these.

Your post reads like just another story of somebody looking to blame somebody else who was not at fault.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
131 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: expadia.ca non-refundable international flights're nightmare

>>-Airlines give expedia.ca discounted tickets at the price of flexibility

Also note that this is common now across the board for airline tickets (and train tickets), even from the airline directly. The cheapest fares are usually the most restrictive and the flexible ones are much, much more expensive. Often the airline sites will show you the different fares in a table and explain the different fare rules, but as you've seen, that often gets lost in travel sites like Expedia, which by default may only show the cheap fare, and the rules may be buried in the fine print.

Edited: 19 October 2017, 04:32
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: expadia.ca non-refundable international flights're nightmare

SYD-MEL isn't an international flight but a domestic one. I'm not sure the US free cancellation if you'd booked direct with QANTAS would have applied even if you'd booked directly with the airline.

Read the terms and conditions of what you're buying before you click. Us, especially if you're not certain of your plans.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,050 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: expadia.ca non-refundable international flights're nightmare

Why would you book a flight with the intention of cancelling it straight away l?

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
534 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: expadia.ca non-refundable international flights're nightmare

A lot of airlines allow you to cancel for free, or a small charge, if you do so within 24 hours but I don't know of any booking sites that do so think Expedia is the norm.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: expadia.ca non-refundable international flights're nightmare

A quick skyscanner search for flights on that route shows that a 1 way ticket costs £30-£40 (USD$46) so its not a particularly expensive mistake

Edited: 19 October 2017, 06:22
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: expadia.ca non-refundable international flights're nightmare

I was referring to the 24 hour refund curtesy, but yes I get your point.

4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: expadia.ca non-refundable international flights're nightmare

We are flying Christmas so not your low season cheapest seats.

Still I don't get what's your point about arguing about expensiveness?

Reply to: expadia.ca non-refundable international flights're nightmare
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted