We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA Internal Flights Released

Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
USA Internal Flights Released

Hi,

I’m in the process of booking a twin city holiday - Chicago and Washington DC, in September next year from the UK.

Would anyone be able to tell me when the internal flights from Chicago to Washington DC will be released? Currently I am only finding United flights at over £300 one way whereas I can see Spirit are much cheaper but aren’t released yet. Many thanks in advance.

8 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,542 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USA Internal Flights Released

The legacy carriers such as United, AA and Delta will be around 11 months before flying.

Low cost carriers like Southwest (who include 2 free checked bags) and Spirit will be closer to 6 months or so - read up on Spirit before using them, they wouldn't be my first choice.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,525 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USA Internal Flights Released

There's no reason to try and buy tickets so far in advance. On legacy carriers it almost guarantees you will get a high fare.

Don't worry, they won't run out of flights between Chicago and Washington. Start looking in mid Spring at the earliest

Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USA Internal Flights Released

Thanks for the quick responses - first time booking everything independently so I will hang fire on the internal flights!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,508 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USA Internal Flights Released

FYI, Spirit is a low cost carrier with low base fares but high fees for checked and carry on bags, seat selection, and many other items. Before booking with them make sure you read up on all their fees, which are disclosed on their website. For many travelers once you add in the fees, their fare is similar or more expensive than a legacy carrier. And some fees like paying for bags or printing boarding passes can be much higher at the airport. If you're not aware of them you can be surprised and pay more in fees than the ticket cost to start.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,495 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: USA Internal Flights Released

"Spirit is a low cost carrier with low base fares but high fees"

They also have no agreements with any other airlines, so if they cancel a flight they will not transfer you to some other airline to try and get you there in a timely fashion. You will have to wait until the next Spirit flight that has room. This may require an overnight stay at the originating airport (or longer if they do not have daily flights).

I would personally not use them (or Frontier) for any itinerary where arrival time is critical. If you can afford to be a day or two late it might be OK, but most people travel on a time limited schedule, so not the best situation if flights are canceled.

-JimG

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,910 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: USA Internal Flights Released

As others have said, it is way too early think about this. There are many flights between those cities. Further, I'm sure you can do better than United or any of the other legacy carriers have quoted you, even with them. There are frequent sales on US domestic flights and I suggest you get yourself on the emailing lists for all the carriers flying the route to make sure you find out about them. Sale or no sale, I suspect the better fares are to be had when business travelers aren't flying (certain days of week/time of day/holiday periods) as there is a lot of business travel on that route.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: USA Internal Flights Released

As others have noted, there's also Southwest with free checked baggage. For Southwest, you will need to search on their website. Unlike the other LCC's such as Spirit, they do have a number of flights daily, so if there is an issue, there will probably be a later flight they can put you on. Also, be aware that Southwest flies out of Midway, not O'Hare.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,508 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: USA Internal Flights Released

Southwest really shouldn't be considered a low cost carrier anymore. From Chicago they are rarely the cheapest option. It all depends on the route. If united or American fly the same route, they usually match southwest. They do have two free bags which saves money if you have a lot of luggage. But no reserved seats. If you want a better boarding position to secure a spot for your carry on, you need to pay for that. So check them but don't be surprised if they are not cheap,

Reply to: USA Internal Flights Released
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted