We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewish/polish last name

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Jewish/polish last name

My last name is wrobel. It has a jewish amd polish background. My dad is born in isreal and grandfather.poland. He has a canadian passport aswell. I only have canadian passport born in canada. Would my last name cause suspicion at the beirut airport ? Having a jewish father ?

16 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
5,117 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewish/polish last name

No, of course it won't

Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
849 posts
576 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewish/polish last name

To be sure, just ensure you don't have any Israeli stamps in your passport, or Jordanian stamps for land crossing from Israel.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,679 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewish/polish last name

What matters is your passport (Canadian).

Immigration officer do not analyse names.

No problem.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewish/polish last name

I'm wondering how immigration officers would know where your father and grandfather were born? Is that information included on Canadian passports? And how would they know that with a Polish name you are not Polish Catholic or Polish Eastern Orthodox, etc.?

What have you decided about the $3000 cash that your bf suggested you bring?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,521 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewish/polish last name

Is that information included on Canadian passports

*-------

It is not.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,830 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewish/polish last name

>>Is that information included on Canadian passports?

Nowadays -- if authorities want to learn something about an individual - -all they have to do is to do the first name last name Facebook or Instagram and they can learn everything from what the person ate to when they last sneezed to when they broke up with their last boyfriend or they can even search First name last name, trip advisor and voila this post will pop up. :-)

But that is beside the point. The main sensitive issue is that a lot of people I know carry two passports if they go to Isreal so that they don't have those stamps visible when they go to other mid-east countries

Edited: 23 October 2017, 23:07
Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
972 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewish/polish last name

Shouldn't be an issue. I'm Jewish and haven't had any problems, and I don't think your name is any more blatantly Jewish-Polish than mine is Jewish-Hungarian.

(Having two passports does help - my (albeit very rare) trips to Israel go in one; my fairly common trips to North Africa/Middle East/Indonesia go in another)

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewish/polish last name

I hear you, Belo! But looking through all the OP's threads asking the same basic question, I cannot find that she has yet to address what I would think is a more important issue: does she have Israeli stamp(s) in her passport? I was under the impression that this might be an issue. From http://lebanonembassy.ca/visas.html : "A visa will not be issued on any passport or travel document stamped with an Israeli visa or seal. Moreover, a Lebanese visa is rendered invalid if an Israeli visa or seal is stamped on the passport."

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,830 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewish/polish last name

Sebastian -- I have not looked at the OP's other posts but I agree about the issue with passports stamped by the Israeli authorities.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewish/polish last name

Belo: in her other posts, she also says that her boyfriend is telling her that she must bring $3000 cash. Again, she has not addressed what some folks here seem to think is a far more important question: Why?

Reply to: Jewish/polish last name
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted