We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Passports interchangeably?? No Visa needed or??...

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Using Passports interchangeably?? No Visa needed or??...

Hey Guys, so basically I'm travelling to Ghana next month from London via Amsterdam. I have dual nationality, I was born in the UK so have a British passport and earlier this year I obtained my Ghanaian passport too. Usually when we go to Ghana on holiday, we use our British passports and simply get a visa for that. This time I want to utilize both passports because apparently its easier to use my British passport at the e-gates on my return. But at which point do I show either passport?? for example: London>Amsterdam then Amsterdam to Accra also Accra to Amsterdam then Amsterdam to London. I hope it doesn't sound too confusing lol. Thanks!

20 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,482 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Passports interchangeably?? No Visa needed or??...

You can use both - use the Ghanaian passport on the way to Accra, and the British on the way back.

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Passports interchangeably?? No Visa needed or??...

You will in fact have to show your Ghanaian passport on your way there as you will not have obtained a visa for your British passport. The airline won't allow you to board without the paperwork to enter Ghana. The same will be true on the return, you'll need to enter the UK on your UK passport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Passports interchangeably?? No Visa needed or??...

@Davehoboken Thanks! But on my return to London wouldn’t they ask how I entered in the first place because I don’t have the stamp in my British passport etc etc

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Passports interchangeably?? No Visa needed or??...

Thanks @darrenmcc

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Passports interchangeably?? No Visa needed or??...

I'm not a UK citizen but I'm guessing, since you are, on your return to the UK they're not going to ask you how you entered the UK "in the first place" and the stamps are irrelevant. Maybe I misunderstood your issue...? The UK officials won't ask how you entered Ghana, they could care less.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Passports interchangeably?? No Visa needed or??...

@Davehoboken Right ok yeah I get you :-) thanks again

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,763 posts
397 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Passports interchangeably?? No Visa needed or??...

<<Thanks! But on my return to London wouldn’t they ask how I entered in the first place because I don’t have the stamp in my British passport etc etc>

Just changed my UK passport after 10 years - there is not a single UK stamp in it, they don’t stamp you in and out (although the computer knows) but as a British citizen you have an absolute right to enter the country, no ifs or buts.

UK
Level Contributor
8,471 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using Passports interchangeably?? No Visa needed or??...

Standard rule - always have both passports handy. One in your hand (the one you're using), one in your pocket (in case someone asks for it)

On travelling to Ghana you use your Ghanaian passport to check in for your flight and to enter Ghana. You probably won't need the British passport for anything as the UK does not do routine outbound passport checks and you won't be entering the Netherlands (you are doing an airside transit). If a government official in either country asks you for ID you show the British passport - since the Ghanaian one has no visa in it. (Sometimes the UK Border Force do random outbound checks at UK airports)

On returning to the UK you show the British passport at check-in and at the gate. If (like most countries) Ghana has outbound passport checks you show the Ghanaian passport at that point. You use your British passport to re-enter the UK.

Edited: 23 October 2017, 05:22
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
527 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Using Passports interchangeably?? No Visa needed or??...

When you leave the uk, you show the airline that you have a Ghana passport. In AMS you can show either passport for security ID. At Ghana show the Ghana passport to enter.

Leaving Ghana, show the Ghana passport to exit the country, but show the uk passport to the airline. Arriving London show your uk passport again. If they ask just tell the truth, that you have a Ghana passport.

You just need to remember two things:

1. use same passport to enter and exit one country.

2. show the destination country's passport/visa to airline for check-in, so they know you can fly.

UK
Level Contributor
8,471 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using Passports interchangeably?? No Visa needed or??...

"In AMS you can show either passport for security ID"

There is no security ID.

(1) Security only ask for boarding passes in Europe, not for ID.

(2) Passengers don't have to re-clear security when transferring from EU countries at AMS, it's a straight walk from gate to gate. (The OP will have to re-clear security on the way back)

Edited: 23 October 2017, 06:11
Reply to: Using Passports interchangeably?? No Visa needed or??...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted