We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook price changes!?

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook price changes!?

Been trying to book a trip to Mexico and regrettably the company selling the hotel we want to book is Thomas Cook.

After previous experiences not to keen to book with them but booking hotel and flights separably is considerably more expensive.

Going through to book holiday, searching on the calender for best priced dates, clicking, going to page with extras (aka seats insurance etc) price totalled for us then going to fill in booking details aka address, pressing pay and then BAM they slap and extra £150-200 on right before you click pay.

It's ridiculous. Something about price updating since we have been booking but that's rubbish as the price when you go back out is the same, right up until you pay again.

Most travel companies have had something similar to this but it's usually only a £10 not hundreds of pounds.

Has anybody booked say in-store or on the phone with them quoted with the price they saw online and had it honoured?

I am considering booking with an advisor of sorts and showing then a screen shot of price.

20 replies to this topic
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
17,902 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook price changes!?

Shame you have to use TC. Are they really the only Travel Agent that uses the hotel you want to go to? I'm guessing you've looked at BA and Virgin Holidays as well as the "usual" TAs?

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook price changes!?

Yes, regrettable, I know but as a package it really is much cheaper.

Not on any other UK travel agents lists.

I have used the price match with other websites and they have honoured it in the past but just curious as to whether in-store or phone reps will honour the original online price.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,812 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook price changes!?

<<Has anybody booked say in-store or on the phone with them quoted with the price they saw online and had it honoured?>>

The only valid price online is the one you see just before you buy. That price will be honoured over the phone and in store because Thomas Cooks have a single pricing policy. They won't honour the original price shown because that isn't a live price. I've just done several random dummy bookings and none have changed in price. Which hotel is it?

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook price changes!?

I've done about 100 dummy booking in the last week or so and it's after you have entered all your passenger details. That's weird! I wonder if it's a cookie thing.

It's the Akumal Bay Beach and Wellness Resort.

I might try on a different computer!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,812 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook price changes!?

Just tried that one and it stayed the same. I think Caribbean Warehouse sell that property but whether they have availability I don't know. You could also try Horizon Direct. They can usually sell TC package holidays cheaper than TC sell them.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook price changes!?

Fantastic! Thank you!

I know there is technology available to travel companies where is they know you've been looking at a holiday they put the price up. I will try on another device and definitely have a look at the other companies.

Presumably ATOL protected etc?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,812 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas Cook price changes!?

Yes, they both are. They have to hold an Atol. Horizon Direct are good. I know lot's of people who use them and their customer service is excellent.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomas Cook price changes!?

Checked them and found holiday £300 cheaper. Price matched that with TC which gave me same price but departure tax and seats included.

Bonus!

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomas Cook price changes!?

Oh and for anybody else wondering what the price jumps are, apparently there is currently an error on the system causing seat charges to duplicate, so please check! Mine was going up £150 because I went to book XL seats and they were being charged twice.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,812 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomas Cook price changes!?

<<Checked them and found holiday £300 cheaper. Price matched that with TC which gave me same price but departure tax and seats included.>>

Departure tax is included anyway. Strange error when it doesn't happen to everyone lol. Personally I'd have booked via Horizon because they go over and above when there are problems or anything needs changing. Unfortunately you can't say the same for TC, but as long as you're only bothered about the price..............

Reply to: Thomas Cook price changes!?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted