We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Damaged Luggage by Aeromexico

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Damaged Luggage by Aeromexico

I travel led on Oct. 20 on Aeromexico 2686 from MEX to AUS. My luggage was damaged and an AM employee at AUS filed the claim and took photos of the damaged luggage. I emailed my inquiries regarding the status of the claim to amluggage@aeromexico.com and amcomplaint@aeromexico.com twice. Except for a case number, no response. Could the community please advise me on how to proceed? Many thanks.

22 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
8,753 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Damaged Luggage by Aeromexico

Perhaps send them a second email or telephone?

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,730 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Damaged Luggage by Aeromexico

Try twitter, airlines tend to want to deal with negativity on their feed.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Damaged Luggage by Aeromexico

You don't specify the nature of the damage, but in general airlines do not compensate for scratches, scuff marks, broken wheels or handles, or any other damage to the exterior of the bag. You will be given the line that the purpose of luggage is to protect the contents inside and if there is no damage that affected the contents inside, no compensation will be given.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Damaged Luggage by Aeromexico

<<and if there is no damage that affected the contents inside, no compensation will be given.>>

I disagree. If the luggage is damage (eg. shell has been broken), the airline does owe you a compensation based on the current value of the luggage.

You need to follow up with the airline. Maybe give them a bit more than tow weeks, so.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,775 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Damaged Luggage by Aeromexico

Hi,

I agree with Phil... as a base position, most all carriers will cover and compensate when there is proven damage that is "structural" in nature -- and not cosmetic.

Generally speaking the definition of "structural" usually means that the damage is of such that it materially and substantially impacts the bags indtended purpose as a carrying unit.

So that's why scuffs, some types of minor fabric tears/rips and most stains are not covered as these usually don't meet the trat of being to the degree that it materially and substantially impacts the bags primary purpose to carry items as a checked baggage.

Cracks (like due to crushing or the like) to a hard-side bag would commonly fall within compensable limits so long as there is no evidence of prior damage and the bag isn't of such an age or has deteriorated to a point where it's ability to function as a checked baggage is in question.

Until the OP posts a bit more about what the claim actually is, it's hard to say where or what should be the next steps.

Travel Safe,

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Damaged Luggage by Aeromexico

Don't give up as I think you are due compensation, it may take a while however.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Damaged Luggage by Aeromexico

Thank you very much for all your advice. One corner of the luggage was torn open though no content was lost. From my past experience with the refund of my Vueling flight, the refund was issued after I emailed my complaint to its CEO. Does any one know the email of any C-suite member? AM publishes them on its website. Thanks.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,832 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Damaged Luggage by Aeromexico

I wouldn't advise emailing the CEO at this stage. I wouldn't give up either, but these things can take time.

As far as the issue goes, it sounds like structural rather than cosmetic damage, so I agree that you have grounds for some compensation.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Damaged Luggage by Aeromexico

Will do. Thanks.

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Damaged Luggage by Aeromexico

I have had a similar situation where I had delayed baggage for over 24 hours and was advised to email the same email addresses. After constant chasing via email and phoning the UK customer service, I have been told today that most of that department are on 'holiday' (which sounds fishy) and there is a delay in responding to emails and I should wait until January! I won't hold my breath!

Reply to: Damaged Luggage by Aeromexico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted