We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA to Introduce boarding groups

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
BA to Introduce boarding groups

Apparently from the 12th December BA are going to introduce boarding groups with those paying the lowest fare boarding last.

independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/bri…

31 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,880 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA to Introduce boarding groups

What an amazing idea! The US carriers need to catch up.

Wait, what? Oops.

The taped off group/zone lines at United boarding gates look silly and like herding schoolchildren. But they have totally eliminated the annoying "gate lice".

I'm sure it's the same with DL and AA too.

Edited: 19 November 2017, 15:36
Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA to Introduce boarding groups

I think the only possible issue, which was commented on in the article, is that those who have hand baggage only fares will be the last to board so much of that hand baggage may end up being gate checked.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA to Introduce boarding groups

I agree Helking - I sometimes buy the hand baggage only fares if I’m travelling for a weekend and don’t need checked luggage, just a medium sized tote or small cabin suitcase. I don’t pay for a full fare because I’m well within the limits of hand luggage only and checked luggage just adds time at the airport. I wonder if this will spur a crackdown on their very generous hand luggage policy.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA to Introduce boarding groups

In a sense they've always been boarding by groups (in theory at least) although making the groups numbered will hopefully make the process work better. In the end, it will come down to how strictly it is enforced at the gate.

London, United...
Level Contributor
628 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA to Introduce boarding groups

BA has shown itself to be completely incapable of consistent enforcement of its current policy (which is not that old anyway), so we shall see.

W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA to Introduce boarding groups

It’ll certainly come down to how well it’s implemented.

KLM/AF got their act together a few years ago with regards to Skypriority boarding, since then it’s been much easier.

I did have a chuckle at the moaner saying because they were on the cheapest seat they should board first because they need the overhead bin space 🤣. Apparently economics isn’t her forte.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,304 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA to Introduce boarding groups

Based on a few flights with them earlier this year it doesn't sound very different (Exec club levels, then familiies/assistance then everyone else but in groups based on seat row - apart from assigning a number at check in. Providing HBO fares can OLCI I don't see why they shouldn't get bags on board. Boarding on BA has always seemed less fraught than other airlines though, so I can't see why there would be a problem.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,783 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA to Introduce boarding groups

I've just returned from a long trip including BA and AA flights. Boarding on the AA flights worked well. The boarding card showed in large script your boarding group so was easy to see by staff. It worked well and everyone appeared to come forward when called. Boarding was reasonably quick.

The BA shorthaul sectors were a complete bun fight. Everyone was milling around the 'priority' entrance and as soon a boarding was announced everyone went to board, Gold, Silver, Bronze, CE, staff weren't checking cards and it was a complete bun fight. It appeared that 2/3rds of the flight had status. If it hadn't been for the fact we were in the bulkhead row and needed locker space we'd have boarded last. Boarding took ages and staff were moving luggage around to find space.

Hopefully boarding groups will help and may speed up boarding. Staff will be helped if the group is printed in large letters. I welcome the move.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
915 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA to Introduce boarding groups

as long as i have a spot for my carry on in the overhead compartment i don't care if i board first or last.just don't fill up the overhead above my row with your bags when you do not even sit in my row.

Edited: 19 November 2017, 22:11
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,783 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA to Introduce boarding groups

Kweq, Good luck with that one, I don't think there is any guarantee that the space over your seat will be free. If only carry on rules are enforced but so often they are not.

Reply to: BA to Introduce boarding groups
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted