We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport validity question

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Passport validity question

I've just read a couple of threads on the Puerto Vallarta and Cancun forums, and people are very confused about passport validity to Mexico. Apparently the US and Canada State Departments "suggest" that one needs 6 months validity on their passports to fly to Mexico, though it seems that that isn't Mexican law.

The theory behind this advice is that people from countries like the US and Canada who don't need a visa are allowed to stay 6 months, therefore one should have 6 months validity past their entry date. No mention is made of having a return ticket.

Many posters are claiming that the airlines have their own 6 month "rule".

So, my question is this - If a passenger with going on a 2 week holiday with a return ticket, and a passport that expires in say, 3 months, were denied boarding because of this airline "rule" (despite the fact that Mexico doesn't specifically require 6 months validity) would they be eligible for Involuntary Denied Board compensation?

I don't have this issue, I'm just curious.

Thanks

17 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,830 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport validity question

What does Timatic say ?

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport validity question

When I put in some dummy information with a less than 6 month passport validity it said everything was fine.

So, if some overzealous gate agent says no, you can't board, would IDB comp be due??

On the Mexico forums people are saying that "the airlines have their own rules", and that there is no recourse against them. Doesn't sound right to me.

Oregon
Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport validity question

Timatic:

"Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid on arrival."

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport validity question

Do you have a link to that Brian?

Oregon
Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport validity question

terriks, you can use any of the various airline links to Timatic info, as they all come from the same database.

For example, here's United's: https:/…

Just fill in any dummy info for a trip to Mexico by a US passport holder.

Edited: 20 November 2017, 07:16
Oregon
Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport validity question

And, there is this one from Emirates which is probably the easiest for getting a quick answer because you can avoid filling in a lot of irrelevant info: https:/…find-visa-requirements.aspx

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport validity question

Thanks. I used this link to determine it: http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/

Again, this isn't my issue. I just want to know what claim one would have against the airline *if* they were denied boarding despite having a return ticket and valid passport. In other words, are the airlines allowed to make up their own "rules", regardless what governments' policies are?

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport validity question

Bumping this up because no one answered my question about whether the airline would have to pay compensation to a passenger who had a valid passport and return ticket that was denied boarding.

Again, this is a hypothetical situation, because I read several threads on the subject in the Mexico forums, and people seem to think that the airlines can make their own rules, regardless of a country's entry requirements.

Thanks

Edited: 21 November 2017, 01:48
Kenitra, Morocco
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport validity question

If you have a valid passport. Valid return ticket. The airline isn't going to deny you boarding. You can stop over thinking this now. You have nothing to worry about!!

..Unless you turn up drunk to the gate and they see you not fit to fly. Or your wanted by the police in your country and they take you away before the flight. In these cases I don't know what your entitled to.

Kenitra, Morocco
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport validity question

Re- read everything here.

Yes airlines can make up their own rules.

Not a passport validity issue but for me it was not having a return ticket when the country I was visiting didn't require it though the airline were sure they did. Almost could not get past checkin though was resolved with a couple of phone calls by them..

If you can get compensation in unsure.

Having travel insurance may assist.

To be completely sure you will be ok and not have this worry why not just renew your passport earlier. Solves your issue as it's coming up for renewal anyway 👍

Reply to: Passport validity question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted