We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Children in business class

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Children in business class

I recently flew CHC to LGW with Cathay pacific, and upgraded to business for the 2nd leg, as it was 12+ hrs and overnight.

Very pleased with cabin and seat and looked forward to a restful flight.

And then I noticed 2 Children in the 2 centre seats directly behind ours. They were about 8 - 10yrs old, and obviously excited and in high spirits (noisy!)

We thought ok they'll probably settle and sleep! And they did - for a while.

So did I - again for a while.

But then they woke up about 6 hours into the flight, and started to play about, climbing over their seats, and peering over ours.

The FA came to tell them to be quiet, but they didn't take much notice.

I asked if they had an adult with them, and was told " yes, their mother, but she's asleep' !!

I said " well nobody else is"!

That made me annoyed and I felt she should have woken her.

This continued for a while until she did eventually wake up, and they went quiet for a bit, watching tv etc.

But then they started banging the floor and kicking my seat.

At this point, I got up and told him to please stop - must have given him 'The Look' that mothers have lol, 'cos he stopped then.

Now some people say that kids shouldn't be allowed in business, but I don't agree with that.

Why should anyone, whatever class, have to put up with it?

If you are taking kids anywhere, on a plane, a bus, to a restaurant, you should control them.

I recently saw a piece written by a restaurant critic, where he commented that instead of focussing on 'Child Friendly Restaurants', we should instead concentrate on raising 'Restaurant Friendly Kids'.

Just wondered what you guys think about this

And btw, the kid I'd told off looked at me a bit warily when we were disembarking, so 'the look' must still work lol.

My kids still laugh about it some 35 years on

82 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,465 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Children in business class

It's public transport, The fact it's Business makes no difference. You can get badly behaved kids (or adults, though I've never encountered that and it matters less anyway) there just as you can in First or on a bus. It sounds as if your pair of little darlings were particularly bratty but in fairness I'd say it's rare (to that level).

It's a shame but unfortunately some people treat everywhere like their personal creche and everyone else can go *****. Other than flying in private jets there isn't a solution. It's down to pot luck. Maybe people should sue airlines for something or other*

(* part tongue in cheek, part genuinely wish we could).

Level Contributor
5,269 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Children in business class

I gotta admit, but when i fly with Air Asia X i love the fact they have a quiet zone where no kids are allowed (doesn't matter if they are with the parents or not, they simply are not allowed a seat in there).

Wish more full cost airlines would do the same and have a section of plane that isn't bookable for passangers under say 14 years old.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Children in business class

If you can manage it, a bit more tolerance will be a help.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Children in business class

If their behaviour is so bad that the flight attendant actually has to tell them to knock it off, the problem isn't the OP's tolerance levels.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Children in business class

Or fly King Herod Airlines?

southern england
Level Contributor
406 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Children in business class

On the flip side ....our last flight with EasyJet , we were almost surrounded by little ones flying with their parents , I looked at my wife and we both thought , well it's only 90 minutes !!

All children were kept occupied by both the parents and the cabin crew , they were so well behaved .

W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Children in business class

Why should poor behaviour by kids be tolerated ?.

King Herod airlines!, if someone has paid thousands for a ticket then it’s not unreasonable to expect a pleasant experience.

I flown many times with children around, they’ve been well behaved. Poor parents raise poor children. Bad behaviour is a learned trait.

England, United...
Level Contributor
12,435 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Children in business class

Children are children, but when I’ve paid thousands of Pounds for a BC seat, I believe I’m entitled to expect their parents to supervise and control their offspring and stop any brattish disruption of my flight.

UK
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Children in business class

It can be a nightmare, I can remember 3hr flights with kids acting up, and the parents continually telling them to behave for the whole 3hrs (usual Thomson flights, make of that what you will!!!), I can also remember a flight from HKG to SYD where a family with 4 kids were being sick pretty much the entire flight!, I felt for the family, as things like that can't really be helped.

Some parents just can't control their kids, and it sucks that everyone else has to suffer because of it.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,786 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Children in business class

funny though....it is usually the rowdy older people that cause the most trouble in business class! one plane (BA , i think) was turned back two days ago due to an unruly person demanding more champagne.

kids will be kids and some will misbehave, but few cause planes to be diverted. and remember, we were all kids at one time and possibly caused mayhem ourselves.

Reply to: Children in business class
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted