We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transit visa required or not?

Dubai, United Arab...
2 posts
Save Topic
transit visa required or not?

Hi Guys,

I am travelling from Delhi to Melbourne via Colombo by Sri Lankan Airlines. So I have one just stop over with 1:30 hour layover at Colombo and the aircraft is changed here as well.

Would I require transit visa in case of such scenario?

Please advise. Thanks in advance for your response.

6 replies to this topic
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
784 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transit visa required or not?

Contact the airline(s).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,642 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transit visa required or not?

The airline is not the authority on visa info. They only check if you have the right paperwork when you check in

So it is best to check with the airline wrt if you are going to remain in transit or not at Colombo and then check with the Sri Lankan consulate wrt Visa

You can google Timatic Emirates and use the IATA info to see if you need a visa -- that is the info that airlines use but I would double check if I were you

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,832 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transit visa required or not?

Or contact the consulate.

Before you contact them, get your facts ready:

- what passport(s) you are holding

- what visa you have (esp. destination)

- where do you live (Dubai, resident?)

- what tickets you are having (flights on one ticket or on separate tickets) and if you need to cross immigration.

All of these points can have an impact.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,765 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transit visa required or not?

You would truly people's opinion on this site? Really you don't know the people. What would you say to the immigration officer "Joe on TA said I could do it?"

Check the immigration site for the country, do not risk it

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
932 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transit visa required or not?

This question has been answered many times on Sri Lanka forum. If your both flights are with the same airline and staying within airside transit area at Colombo airport, you don't need a visa regardless of your nationality. Once you get off from the plane check the departure gate of your Melbourne flight and walk in to that gate. Colombo airport is a small one and both arriving and departure gates are located at the same level.

Dubai, United Arab...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: transit visa required or not?

Thank you for your response.

I had established contact with the airline and have been informed that no transit visa is required.

Reply to: transit visa required or not?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted