We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

throwaway tickets

tullahoma
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
throwaway tickets

This was discussed sometime in the past, but can anyone bring me up t0 date ? I know it violates the T's and C's, but what will happen if you get caught ? I'm a ff with lots of points. Any recent experience ?

14 replies to this topic
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
39,869 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: throwaway tickets

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g41707-c2…

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,882 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: throwaway tickets

If you know it has been discussed in the past, then you should also know what the consequences are in terms of cancellation of subsequent segments. See the 4th FAQ in the list on the right-hand side of this page: "Skipping Flights on one ticket - Why You Can't".

Basically, if you want to throw away individual tickets for individual flights, there's no problem (at least for the airlines concerned); but if it's for one segment of a multi-leg ticket, then unless you are only "throwing away" the very last one, you would lose all subsequent legs, including the return flight(s).

However, you probably need to explain exactly what it is you are doing (and how it corresponds, or doesn't, with what you are buying).

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
50,358 posts
1,670 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: throwaway tickets

As mentioned, there are different circumstances, which might/might not apply to certain situations.

A full, detailed itinerary will likely help others here, help you better - more detail better.

Good luck,

Hunt

tullahoma
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: throwaway tickets

I want to go one way to Europe on a major carrier. The one way ticket is almost twice the price of the round trip ticket. I will use the first flight, but simply fail to return. I am considering calling a few days in advance of my return, to advise the airline that I want to cancel. By doing this, I may be charged a cancellation fee, but it will be cheaper. I don't want to violate rules since I hear the airline could charge your credit card the full one way fare and/or attach your f flyer account . BTW, of the info posted was dated, and most all is inconclusive. Most posters seem to think the airline will not likely pursue any remedy.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
23,349 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: throwaway tickets

How are you getting back to Tullahoma?

Maybe a multi-city flight booking is the answer to the question you meant to ask.

Edited: 15 December 2017, 05:42
South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: throwaway tickets

If the one-way ticket is almost twice the price of the round trip ticket isn't it still cheaper?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,295 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: throwaway tickets

I think the OP is saying the one-way is almost twice the price of the full round trip. Not that it's almost twice the price of one half the round trip. So the round trip, both directions, is cheaper than the one way.

Nothing has formally changed with most airline's rules. Probably this is against their terms and conditions. As long as you don't make a habit of doing this odds are nothing will happen. People miss flights all the time.

tullahoma
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: throwaway tickets

Sorry-I didn't mean to mislead anyone. A one way ticket is almost twice the amount for a round trip ticket. I will not likely break the rules unless the airline will somehow agree. I will likely just take a cheaper airline. Unfortunate since I have a preferred airline, but I guess they made this mess.

Europe
Level Contributor
414 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: throwaway tickets

The risk is just about zero, unless you begin doing this every week.

When people fall ill/get a flat tire/lose their passport/don't wake up early enough/develop a sudden fear of flying and miss their flight, which happens on every flight (one of the main reasons for overbooking), the airlines do NOT chase after them for more fees.

tullahoma
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: throwaway tickets

As of a few minutes ago, the airline agreed to work with me. They suggested ,for a fee, I can use the return ticket at a later time. Just happens, I may have a 2019 repositioning cruise from U.S. to Europe. Possibly I can use the back half of my ticket to come home from that trip. Thanks everyone.

Reply to: throwaway tickets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted