We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family travel husband skip last leg of return flight

Suzhou, China
1 post
Save Topic
Family travel husband skip last leg of return flight

We are a family of three travelling on AA domestic flights from California to Florida. Current return flights will stop in Phoenix. My husband has a work trip scheduled at the end of our vacation and will be going from Phoenix ( Southwest) to Denver instead of coming home to California.The lap baby ( under my name) and I will be going back to Cali from Phoenix.

Question, if I wait till boarding at the gate to notify AA, would AA not letting me and the baby board since we are on the same ticket?

7 replies to this topic
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family travel husband skip last leg of return flight

You have separate tickets. You’re just all on the same reservation. It won’t affect your ticket.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,472 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family travel husband skip last leg of return flight

Just be aware that if there are issues on the day of travel, you and your husband may be rerouted through an airport other than Phoenix. That's a risk he needs to understand before you do this. He will also not be able to get any checked luggage back in Phoenix.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family travel husband skip last leg of return flight

Against the rules but should work with separate tickets.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family travel husband skip last leg of return flight

AA could change your connection airport at any time, even on the day of flight. Otherwise, it will work.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,346 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family travel husband skip last leg of return flight

And make sure whatever your husband wants to take on his work trip is packed in his carry on case. As has been pointed out, his checked luggage will be going home to California.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family travel husband skip last leg of return flight

Do American airlines allow luggage to travel without the passenger being onboard? Here if the passenger doesn't board the luggage is offloaded and considered a security breach whether or not the wife, child etc are already on the flight.

Probably worth getting confirmation from the airline that this won't happen or his luggage won't be going to California, it will be off loaded in Phoenix.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family travel husband skip last leg of return flight

I assumed he was traveling with only carry-on luggage.

Reply to: Family travel husband skip last leg of return flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted