We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancelling a booking within 24 hours of booking

Canton of Zurich...
2 posts
Save Topic
Cancelling a booking within 24 hours of booking

Hi. I just booked a trip with Voyage Privé, but a minute after booking it, realised that they weren´t offering much of a deal as booking the same offer online on Booking.com comes to an even better price. I would therefore like to cancel this booking as I find that it´s ridiculous that they would call this "an offer" when it´s even cheaper online. I am trying to cancel online, but they want to charge me a 250 euro fee for cancelling a few minutes after making the booking. I cannot give them a call as they only open at 9.30 in the morning, but does anyone know if there is any policy where they have to reimburse you within 24 hours of your booking, like airline companies do? Thanks very much. I would appreciate any advice.

12 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,360 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancelling a booking within 24 hours of booking

Does their T&C's state anything about a 24 hour cancellation policy?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,172 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancelling a booking within 24 hours of booking

That 24 hour cancellation is standard in the USA ... you would have to ask your airline if it is standard practice where you are. I don't know of anywhere else it is offered.

Canton of Zurich...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancelling a booking within 24 hours of booking

No, I´ve read through ithem throroughly and can´t seem to find anything, but I know there is often such a rule regardless of the Tërms and Conditions.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,931 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancelling a booking within 24 hours of booking

No rule apart from USA flight only that are booked direct. It doesn't apply if you book via a third party. It's a pity you didn't do some research to find the cheaper price before booking.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,360 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancelling a booking within 24 hours of booking

Here's a link to the T&C's. Section 11 Cancellation by you doesn't mention anything, so if you want to cancel you will need to pay whatever the cancellation charges are.

https:/…conditionsGeneralesVentes

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancelling a booking within 24 hours of booking

The only place I have ever heard of this being a rule is the US airlines when booked directly through them. I think expedia allows it too.

Otherwise, if it's not in the terms and conditions, too bad, you're out of luck.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,399 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancelling a booking within 24 hours of booking

I find that it´s ridiculous that they would call this "an offer" when it´s even cheaper online.

---------------------

If I offer to cut your grass, it does not mean I am the cheapest person who will do that.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,550 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancelling a booking within 24 hours of booking

I have gotten an automatic refund when I cancelled within 24 hours of booking a flight reservation made directly with a major US carrier. However, I have no idea if that is the practice for bookings made with 3d parties or if there are any local laws where you live and presumably booked that would require a refund.

UK
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancelling a booking within 24 hours of booking

3rd party booking sites typically do not offer 24 hour refunds and there is no legal requirements to do so outside the USA anyway.

Some non US airlines do offer this, for example BA, but you need to book direct.

Unfortunately the time to do research into pricing is before handing over your cash.

Edited: 25 February 2018, 15:09
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
9,697 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancelling a booking within 24 hours of booking

Since the OP mentions booking.com, it’s a reasonable assumption it’s accomodation and not air travel, but they are hoping the 24 hour cancellation rule for US flights booked directly will some how also apply to accomodation booked through a third party in Eutope!

You can get cancellation without penalty up to a few days before the arrival date on hotel bookings but only if that is the terms of the rate. They are usually a bit more expensive than non refundable rates,

It always best to research prices before buying, then don’t look back.

Reply to: Cancelling a booking within 24 hours of booking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted