We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetstar carry on allowance

7 posts
Save Topic
Jetstar carry on allowance

I am traveling with 2 kids (under 2 and 4) and usually bring a diaper bag of snacks. Since we will be flying 10 hrs from HNL to SYD and then 6hrs to Bali and we have some food allergies. I am also doing a carry on. There's like no way to bring snacks and my carry on for under 15 lbs combined.

My question. Do they check? Can I avoid the ticket counter and sneak my food bag or will they literally weigh it as I board the plane?

Any help is appreciated! I also booked 2 round trip tickets so would have to pay a LOT like 200 to check a carry on. 60 to syd and then 60 to Bali and then return

26 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,409 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jetstar carry on allowance

Yes they will check - AND depending on what the snacks are you probably wont be able to bring them into/through Australia anywyay.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,272 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jetstar carry on allowance

Jetstar make money out of their extras charges ... you can bet they will check.

They are very clear about the extras and the cost, it's not as if the fees are hidden.

Edited: 23 April 2018, 09:52
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jetstar carry on allowance

Scroll down about half way on this https:/…excess-baggage-charges-at-the-airport to see the additional fees you will pay if your cabin baggage exceeds the weight allowed.

I have seen Jetstar staff weighing and size checking baggage, using a special trolley that they wheel around, at the boarding gate area on more than one occaision. People were having their over size/weight cabin bags taken to be placed in the hold and were being charged on the spot. Some were very unhappy.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jetstar carry on allowance

You must declare all food stuff you have in your luggage at Sydney, many processed foods still commercially packed will be allowed in but other food has to be disposed of on arrival. See this for more information as to what is allowed in and what is not. agriculture.gov.au/travelling/arriving-in-au… if in doubt declare it. Jetstar has been cracking down on hand luggage abd generally they weigh it as well on checkin.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jetstar carry on allowance

Jetstar in Sydney are VERY serious about carry on weight. I've had my carry on luggage weighed at check in with Jetstar and then when I got to the gate it was weighed again - even though it already had a tag on it saying it was ok. They are aware that some people try to cheat by hiding part of their luggage while it is being weighed.

They often (probably on 50% of my flights) set up a weighing station and weigh every single bit of luggage - even when I've checked luggage and only have a small handbag that weighs less than 1 kg (2 pounds) they have weighed it and tagged it. You're not allowed on the plane unless your luggage is tagged.

Other times they only weigh some luggage that looks overweight but the scales and sizer are there at every gate.

It is much cheaper to buy a checked bag before you get to the airport. In your case - needing to carry snacks and extra stuff for your children - I would pay to check a bag of clothes now.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jetstar carry on allowance

What makes you think you're so special that rules don't apply to you?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,428 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jetstar carry on allowance

Karen - it seems to be a personality trait known only to those who fly low cost airlines !!

Sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jetstar carry on allowance

As a single traveller I have never had my bag weighted. I am usually over by a kilo or so. I never get in the queue until the flight is almost boarded. However in your case with 2 little ones you would be better off paying for an extra bag as you will hardly be able to fly under the radar. Also as others have said you will have to declare your food transiting through Sydney. You may not have to throw away items that are still in sealed plastic however. It’s the discretion of customs staff.

Level Contributor
677 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jetstar carry on allowance

They don’t check at the airport but they definitely check this forum 😜

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,167 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jetstar carry on allowance

>> You may not have to throw away items that are still in sealed plastic however.<<

Wrong. Whether they are sealed or not, all meat, seafood and dairy products are going in the Quarantine bin.

Reply to: Jetstar carry on allowance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;