We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

miss a connecting flight on purpose

6 posts
Save Topic
miss a connecting flight on purpose

We are going from LHR to Split in Croatia in summer. It's 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 kids. We are flying via Zurich with Swiss.

On the way home my kids and me would like to stay in Zurich (and then catch an easy jet flight home a week later). My husband would continue on to London using the Swiss ticket, but the 3 of us would skip the last segment.

If we check the bags in under my husband's ticket and me and my kids fly with only hand luggage, are there any consequences to us leaving the airport in Zurich and missing our connecting flight to London?

Should I call the airline and ask them or would they anyway say it's not possible?

Thanks!

21 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
23,239 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: miss a connecting flight on purpose

How many checked bags? Each passenger gets a limit, which you can check on the airlines website. I’m not sure you’d be able to check all bags against one passenger.

6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: miss a connecting flight on purpose

We would only have one checked bag, so it could go with my husband... I'm just wondering if there would be any other issue with doing this...

Edited: 26 April 2018, 04:06
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: miss a connecting flight on purpose

There shouldn't be.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: miss a connecting flight on purpose

The only issue would be if there was a problem with your flight and you got rerouted in a way that skipped Zurich (e.g. by being booked on a codeshare partner).

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,384 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: miss a connecting flight on purpose

Should I call the airline and ask them - No, they are either going to say it's contrary to the rules of your ticket or seek to reprice your ticket.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,579 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: miss a connecting flight on purpose

"Should" be okay ... will they approach your husband onboard and ask where you are when you don't turn up? I assume you are all traveling on the same itinerary.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: miss a connecting flight on purpose

The husband just glares and says "We had a disagreement."

Level Contributor
396 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: miss a connecting flight on purpose

Shrug shoulders and say, " Am I my wife's and children's keeper?"

6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: miss a connecting flight on purpose

Thanks for your responses! Hmmm, didn't think about that my husband might have an issue, but then what could they do?!! Someone mentioned the airline might charge me extra if it contravenes their terms... but that seemed a bit odd to me!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: miss a connecting flight on purpose

Someone mentioned the airline might charge me extra if it contravenes their terms... but that seemed a bit odd to me!

===========

Airlines might reprice your ticket if they're told you're not taking all flights as booked / scheduled.

Likely? Perhaps not. However, they're within their rights as per the T'&C's of the ticket (contract) you purchased (entered into).

Look at the top, right-hand side of the Air Travel forum for the Top Questions about 'Hidden City Ticketing' / 'skipping flights...'

Reply to: miss a connecting flight on purpose
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted