We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage allowance in mixed class ticket

Baggage allowance in mixed class ticket
Save

I have a singapore airlines flight from India to Australia transiting through Singapore. First leg of my flight is Business class and the second one is Economy facilitated by Scoot. My baggage will be checked through from India. What will be the baggage allowance for me for the entire flight? Is it the 40 Kg allowance of Business or the 30 Kg allowance for the Economy?

6 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Cambodia, Burundi, Malawi, Rwanda
Level Contributor
8,990 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Baggage allowance in mixed class ticket
Save

You should be able to see your allowance in manage my booking . Note if you are returning in the same classes it may be different on the way back

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
306 reviews
99 helpful votes
2. Re: Baggage allowance in mixed class ticket
Save

Well, I've always played down to the 'lesser' level when we've travelled, Whenever we've only taken carry-on, we've only packed enough to meet the airline with the lowest weight, no matter what the others have been.

I would expect the 40kgs to be eliminated once you're booked in for Scoot economy. They are an economic airline, and could charge you for the overweight.

Who did you book with? Did you ask when you were booking your tickets?

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,990 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Baggage allowance in mixed class ticket
Save

#2 Like I have said the baggage allowance for each flight is usually shown very clearly in manage my booking and on the e-ticket

Thailand
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,382 posts
4 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Baggage allowance in mixed class ticket
Save

Did you search for business class when you booked and ended up with economy for one leg due to available aircraft type? When this has happened to me (on other airlines) I always got the larger allowance.

But as Alistair2 said, check your booking and it should tell you your baggage allowance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,134 posts
420 reviews
151 helpful votes
5. Re: Baggage allowance in mixed class ticket
Save

Some airlines will quite specifically outline that the check in allowance is the lesser of the two amounts, however I have flown on a similar itinerary many times before with different airlines and every time, I have always been able to check in the greater amount and the bags were checked all the way through without any fuss.

Your experience may be different, and given your second leg is with a low cost carrier, I'd expect they will be strict about their check in allowance. However, as you're checking in with Singapore Airlines at the start of your journey, they may not say anything.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,990 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Baggage allowance in mixed class ticket
Save

It is a shame we can not sell our unused baggage allowance I could make a fortune

Reply to: Baggage allowance in mixed class ticket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.