We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AA - connecting flights

2 posts
AA - connecting flights
Save

I am looking at flights from Florida to Venice, Italy. Most connect in PHL. I'm worried about my luggage being lost. Is it better to book separate flights? One from here to PHL, and then one from PHL to Venice?

7 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
61,946 posts
1,571 reviews
400 helpful votes
1. Re: AA - connecting flights
Save

NO. Booking separate flights means if your first flight is late you are stuck in Philly and will have to,buy a new ticket to and back from Italy.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
38,839 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: AA - connecting flights
Save

Millions of people travel and do not experience issues with lost luggage.

My longest flight(s) have been from JFK or EWR > HKG > BKK. My bag gets checked from home to Bangkok. I never even think about it getting lost.

DON'T book separate unless you give yourself LOADS of extra time AND you can save a good deal of money.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
111 reviews
50 helpful votes
3. Re: AA - connecting flights
Save

I think it would be best to book it as a single ticket. If you book separate tickets, then you have to re-check your luggage in PHL and go back through security. Also, what if there's a delay in getting your luggage? You'll also have problems if your first flight is delayed, or if the departure time of the second flight gets moved earlier, or similarly if things on your return flights get changed.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
4. Re: AA - connecting flights
Save

But your bags will go on the same airplanes and be handled by the same airport handlers etc.

The only reduction in risk is you would be transferring the luggage between flights after it makes its way through an airports baggage system.

Plus you would occur the extra time and hassle of having to exit airside, retrieve your bags then check in again and go back through security etc.

Either travel with carry on only or trust the system. Bags do get delayed but the chances are really quite low.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
9,062 posts
15 reviews
25 helpful votes
5. Re: AA - connecting flights
Save

Another option is to take only carry-on. My wife and I have not checked a bag in 15 years - not even for our December trip to Alaska several years ago (during which we encountered temperatures well below zero most of the time). Most people take too much stuff anyway - pare your luggage down to just essentials and you may find that you don't need to check any bags.

In no case would I book separate tickets unless there was no other choice. I've certainly done it in the past, but I always allowed plenty of time between fIights - typically an overnight when possible (which you would want to do in this case since you are fIying overseas).

-JimG

Edited: 20 January 2023, 21:40
2 posts
6. Re: AA - connecting flights
Save

Thank you everyone

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
556 posts
45 reviews
39 helpful votes
7. Re: AA - connecting flights
Save

I do carry on only. If you can't manage that, keep a change of clothes/bare necessities with you in the event your luggage is delayed.

Reply to: AA - connecting flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.