We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Codeshare flight and baggage allowances

Bangkok, Thailand
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Codeshare flight and baggage allowances

Just wondering if someone knew the answer to this. I am flying out of Melbourne (MEL) Australia on a Qantas flight (QF) with 2 pieces of checked baggage at 23 kg each maximum. Once I arrive to LAX, I have about 4 hours to wait until I get on my Air Canada (AC) flight to go back home to Toronto. Air Canada's baggage allowance is 1 piece at 23 kg max. I don't know how much I will be charged, if anything. I'm not sure if Air Canada will honour my 2 pieces from my Qantas flight, or if I will have to pay for an extra one for that half of my journey. I booked the flight all on one ticket, I just have to wait for a bit until I can transfer to a flight going back home.

How does this work?! Any help would be appreciated!!

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,087 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Codeshare flight and baggage allowances

Hi

If your luggage is checked right through to its destination I don't see a problem, that would only occur if you had to re-check in for your Air Canada flight. If it was me I wouldn't worry.

Jackie

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Codeshare flight and baggage allowances

Since you're on a through ticket, the rules in the below link should apply and the Qantas allowance should carry over to the ongoing flight.

…constantcontact.com/fs063/1101368024856/arc…

Remember that you will need to clear US Custims and Immigration once you get to LAX. Therefore you will need to pick up your bags in the customs hall and turn them back over to the airline once you clear customs.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,453 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Codeshare flight and baggage allowances

Emily: Main question is whether you will be allowed to check your luggage through to YYZ (Toronto Int. Airport), even if it is on the same ticket. I would check this with QF. If you can't, then expect to pay the extra in LAX. If you can check through, then there is the theory and the practice... In theory, MEL check in staff should deal with the extra luggage for the second leg. In practice though, I never saw this happening... Once checked in, then the luggage must make their way to final destination.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,326 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Codeshare flight and baggage allowances

On one ticket, QF and AC should have an interline agreeement so QF's luggage allowance would apply. For entry into the US, you will have to pick up your bags at LAX, go through customs, and then drop them off at the conveyor belt right outside (follow the signs).

You will reunite with your bags regardless at LAX for a brief period of time regardless.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Codeshare flight and baggage allowances

Emily,

(Fairly) recent rules mean that, assuming both flights are on the same ticket - the allowance of the "most significant carrier" applies to both (all) flights. So this would be QANTAS in your case, so you should be fine.

(Before, I believe the allowance was the originating, or first carrier on the itinerary, which would still have been QF)

Edited: 08 April 2012, 12:58
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,453 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Codeshare flight and baggage allowances

Sammy: "Should have an interline agreement": Agree! "Should". Have seen cases (even within the same alliance - Star not to mention it) where there were no such agreement.

USBT: Well spotted. The "most significant" is in the regular case I am facing the most restrictive... That said, if Emily can't check through, I am almost sure AC will ask for an extra bag fee...

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Codeshare flight and baggage allowances

Swissdiver,

>>Sammy: "Should have an interline agreement": Agree! "Should<<

Read DOES - aircanada.com/en/…codeshare.html

>>Have seen cases (even within the same alliance - Star not to mention it) where there were no such agreement.<<

Where? That's nonsense. It's a fundamental part of all alliances that they have interline agreements between each other. How else could they give reciprocal FF miles, and elite miles across carriers?

Anyway that's moot. QF and AC are in different alliances, but they interline, so assuming both flights on a single ticket, you're all set.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,453 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Codeshare flight and baggage allowances

USBT: Luxair is part of Star Alliance but doesn't have an interline agreement with all of its members... So, NO, it is not always there!

Emily: it seems you are OK then for your outbound flight and should be for the inbound as well (provided there is a return planned) provided AC check-in staff apply correctly the rule.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Codeshare flight and baggage allowances

"Luxair is part of Star Alliance"

Actually, per the Star Alliance website, Luxair is NOT a member of the Star alliance. However, they are fully integrated into Lufthansa's Miles & More FF program allowing for the earning and use of FF miles.

However, alliance membership is not a requirement for interline agreements (AKA ticketing agreements). Most major airlines whether in the same alliance or not, have some type of imterline agreement, allowing for a specified level of cooperation when it comes to baggage, ticket acceptance, etc. Alliance affilliation simply takes this to a higher level by also allowing such things as code shares,etc.

The most notable exception to interline agreements are the LCC's. A large number of LCC's do not have any or only a very limited number of interline agreements in order to help contain costs.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,326 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Codeshare flight and baggage allowances

FYI, QF does have an interline agreement with AC that allows baggage transfer on a QF issued ticket with an AC connecting flight.