We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liquids in checked baggage

Nakhon Sawan...
9 posts
Save Topic
Liquids in checked baggage

Hi there, I would just like to know if liquids ie: moisturiser, shampoo etc, have to be put in zip lock plastic bags in checked baggage or is that just for carry ons? Can anyone clarify the rules for this please?

We are flying with Qantas from bangkok to sydney to auckland in 2 days.

83 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,412 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liquids in checked baggage

Just for carry ons, although putting them in a zip lock is not a bad idea anyway. That way if a shampoo bottle accidentally pops open, you don't soak everything in the suitcase.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,495 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liquids in checked baggage

As wes says, it's not mandatory to put liquids into ziplocs for checked baggage, but I do ever since a bottle of iodine leaked :-)

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liquids in checked baggage

Always a zip-locked toilet bag to avoid leaking! Mine can be hung in the bathroom: very useful...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Liquids in checked baggage

Leaks are more common than you'd expect because of air pressure changes, so a Ziploc bag (of any size) is a really good idea. But as mentioned, there's no rule that requires it in checked baggage.

Level Contributor
39,650 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liquids in checked baggage

You can pack as many liquids as you want into the checked luggage, I always put the liquid in plastic bags and seal them with Cellotape so they won't leak into the other clothing.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liquids in checked baggage

I wanted to reply on this forum as I searched allot on this topic. If you have eczema or psoriasis and try not to take prescriptions lotions, your shampoo, conditioner and moisturizers matter - allot. Several forms recommend 1 – not filling the bottles all of the way, and maybe even squeezing a bit of air out to avoid air pressure explosion, 2 – Unscrew the caps, cut a small square of plastic to put over the bottle opening and re-screw o the cap 3 – Of course, all bottle should go in shopping or ziplock bags 4 – My own advice to avoid packing full size bottles when 3 ounces is just not enough is food containers, I got a bottle of relish for less than a $1 ( what many travel sized bottles cost) and it was 8 ounces – just what I wanted for suit case packing. (I saved the relish in another container and washed the bottle out for a sulfate free shampoo)

7. Re: Liquids in checked baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 September 2013, 16:05
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Liquids in checked baggage

Several forms recommend 1 – not filling the bottles all of the way, and maybe even squeezing a bit of air out to avoid air pressure explosion

Thats very poor advice, water essentially isn't compressible, so part filling a bottle is much more likely to lead to a leak, since its the air that expands, not the liquid.

Traralgon, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Liquids in checked baggage

Wilmington, North...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Liquids in checked baggage

can I have my vit and presb in 7 days holder

how many oz can I take of shampoo and condit