We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why can't I select my seats or add API? (Thomson Airways)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Why can't I select my seats or add API? (Thomson Airways)

I'm flying from Birmingham on Sunday 4th May to Sanford with Thomson Airways. I need to add my API to make sure me and my fiancée are let through the border in the US, yet to do this I have to complete the select my seats part of checking in on the Thomson Flight Extras website.

I can't complete the select my seats part because all the seats barring one infant seat are showing as unavailable on the inbound flight.

Is anyone else having this issue? I'm on a short deadline so really need to get this sorted. I don't understand why I can't add API before Checking in, other airlines allow you to. Starting to get a real bad taste in my mouth about Thomson Airlines.

110 replies to this topic
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,257 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why can't I select my seats or add API? (Thomson Airways)

You don't need to select seats to add API. Not everyone opts to pay to select seats. You can complete API anytime before checking in.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why can't I select my seats or add API? (Thomson Airways)

My problem is, when I click Check in, I get taken to the select my seats page, where I can only select seats for one leg of my two flights. Because of this, I get an error that I have not completed selecting my seats and so I can't continue on to add my API. The API button is greyed out too, the only things I can click on is "Check In" and "Add Assisstance."

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why can't I select my seats or add API? (Thomson Airways)

How are you getting to the "click Check in " stage?

I did API, and a month later selected seats, by going to the Thomson main page and selecting "API login". I then entered name, departure date and flight reference xxxxxxx (not the booking reference xxxx/xxxxx) . This took me to a page with a set of options, which included API, booking seats and online checkin.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/

This ws in respect of a Thomson package holiday - it may be different if you booked flight only.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why can't I select my seats or add API? (Thomson Airways)

I am logging in with my Booking reference, Surname and Departure date to flightextras.thomson.co.uk. Once logged in I click "Check In", and am taken to a page asking me to select my seats, which is where I become stuck by the fact I can't choose any seat for the inbound flight.

I have found a way around it by changing the URL at this stage from "https:/…Index" to "https:/…Extras", which skips the seat choosing entirely, but I worry that by doing this and finalizing my check in, that I will not be able to choose my seats when the problem is resolved at a later date.

I don't have any API link available from the page you see once you first log in. I have a section that says "Travel Documents" which I assume is API, and that has a button that is greyed out that says "Add these."

My booking was with Low Cost Holidays with Thomson as the airline, so it could be that that has something to do with it, but I doubt it as every correspondence I have received from Thomson states I must provide them with my API unless I am using a carrier other than Thomson to fly me and my partner.

This is all rather annoying. I'm going to go to my local Thomson store and see if they can help me. Their email support replied saying they are looking into it and will return back to me asap with reasons/solutions, but unfortunately time is not on my side.

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
670 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why can't I select my seats or add API? (Thomson Airways)

As you are planning to do, pop into a shop.

API must be added when flying to theUS as a condition of carriage. I wouldnt even worry about seats right now, just get the API sorted. At least that way you know that you can fly!

Good luck,Im sure it will be fine. Ive lost count of the number of times technology has failed me :-)

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,257 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why can't I select my seats or add API? (Thomson Airways)

Why would a Thomsons store help you when you didn't book through them? You need to contact your agent, as they own your booking, and ask them to sort it out for you. It's a while since I booked flight only with Thomsons but are you using this link for API https://eapi.thomson.co.uk.

If you can't add API you can check in at the airport and they will take it from you then.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why can't I select my seats or add API? (Thomson Airways)

More important that you check you have your Esta.

I agree that there is no point in going to a Thomson's shop - you didn't book with them and they will have no access to your booking.

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why can't I select my seats or add API? (Thomson Airways)

My booking was with Low Cost Holidays with Thomson as the airline

=======================================

That could make a huge difference to the way your flight is handled. Did LCH take your passport details when you booked? They may have done the API themselves.

However, I've just been in to my booking, via "flight extras" and all the options are available. Including "Travel Documents". I clicked on this, and could see my API details. I went in using my 7-digit flight reference, not my booking reference (nnnn/nnnnn).

If the Thomson shop is near you, then there's no harm in calling in, but really it's LCH who should be sorting this out.

I know that Thomson were having some difficulties with their computer system a couple of days ago - some customers couldn't print their boarding cards, and were told they'd be printed at the airport.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why can't I select my seats or add API? (Thomson Airways)

I went into the Thomson shop and the lady said it will all be fine, and that they will take my API details at the airport upon check-in.

Via email, Thomson said that I can't select my seats on the inbound flight due to a technical issue with that flight, so I'm now chasing for a refund.

Low Cost Holiday did ask for my API details (although not specifically, I just happened upon the option to add it when logging in to my booking to check a discount had been added.) That has since been filled in and completed.

I think since I can't select my seats for the inbound flight, and the outbound flight has already been selected and confirmed, I might try the method I used to skip the seat selection step and add my API with Thomson, just to be sure. I won't relax till I know everything is going according to plan.

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why can't I select my seats or add API? (Thomson Airways)

Via email, Thomson said that I can't select my seats on the inbound flight due to a technical issue with that flight, so I'm now chasing for a refund.

===================================

Unfortunately, seat selection is a free service. What you've paid for is the right to be seated together, which includes across the aisle or even one behind the other. However, there's no harm in asking.

I hope you're going to return to tell us how it worked out.

Reply to: Why can't I select my seats or add API? (Thomson Airways)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted