We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa cancelled return flight without notifying me

Europe
3 posts
Save Topic
Lufthansa cancelled return flight without notifying me

TL,DR didn't use my outbound flight, Lufthansa cancelled return flight ticket without notifying me, says it is part of terms and conditions, but can't find anywhere where it actually says that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I had a return flight booked with Lufthansa, but had to use alternate means to get to my destination (in other words, I made no use of my outbound flight). Trying to check in just hours prior to my booked return flight I realise that Lufthansa has cancelled that ticket and is not very cooperative in helping me out getting back home.

I have spoken to 5 different customer service representatives and the common tenor was as part of the terms and conditions I had voided my return journey. Pressing the final customer service representative on where it actually says that, he was struggling to give a concise answer and after about 20 mins of evasive blanket statements the best he could give me was Article 3.3.3 here:

lufthansa.com/online/…

As far as I can tell, that does not constitute the right for them to cancel my ticket.

Some of the responses in this thread (https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12…) seem to imply that this is the done thing. But how can that be? To me that seems outrageous and incredibly sneaky and conniving!

Does anyone have similar experience or advice how to handle this best? The conspiracy theorist in me almost thinks that the airline just systematically gambles that missing the outgoing flight means the customer will most likely miss the return leg as well and sell that ticket again. Is that possible? Or is there some reasonable explanation for this sort of behaviour from a 'reputable' airline?

Many thanks for any help or insight,

Ed

36 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,140 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lufthansa cancelled return flight without notifying me

Welcome to the forums.

If you don't take your flights in the order they were booked, then any subsequent ticket(s) is/are automatically cancelled.

This is absolutely standard practice and one of the first 'rules' you should make yourself aware of when flying.

UK
Level Contributor
8,740 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lufthansa cancelled return flight without notifying me

It's standard practice with virtually all airlines. (There are some exceptions, mostly low-cost carriers like Ryanair which book all flights as one-way flights). It's been like that for decades - I remember having a flight cancelled in the 1990s because the system thought I was a no-show (I had in fact been rebooked onto a delayed earlier flight, at the last minute, and been given a hand-written boarding pass).

You can either fight a one-person campaign to take on the entire airline world, or put it down to experience.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,401 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lufthansa cancelled return flight without notifying me

Pretty standard with most airlines. You miss a leg and all remaining flights on that ticket will be automatically cancelled.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
23,859 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lufthansa cancelled return flight without notifying me

>>> Some of the responses in this thread (https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12…) seem to imply that this is the done thing. But how can that be? To me that seems outrageous and incredibly sneaky and conniving! <<<

It's absolutely the done thing, and indeed far from it being confined to Lufthansa you will find it is standard practice across most the airline industry. It is in fact a computer-driven automatic process, and you have to contact the airline to have it reversed.

The only way round it is to book with a low cost carrier who price all their fares as individual point-to-point one way journeys, such as Ryanair.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,654 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lufthansa cancelled return flight without notifying me

it is standard practice is what you will hear from all seasoned travelers on this forum -- make this a lesson learned and move on.

Prescot, United...
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lufthansa cancelled return flight without notifying me

Sorry you were not aware, but as others have said it is common practice .

Lesson to all of us to read all T and C s

Lynne

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lufthansa cancelled return flight without notifying me

Hi

This is the kind of situation where you are infinitely better off flying with a low cost carrier. If you had been on an Easyjet or Ryanair then all flights are treated as separate and so you would have got home just fine, but with full service carriers, as everyone else says, you miss one flight in your itinerary and all the rest are cancelled.

Shamir you didn't know and it has cost you dear, but I bet you will always remember this clause in future. Look on it as a rather expensive life lesson.

Jackie

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lufthansa cancelled return flight without notifying me

You entered a contract to travel from A to B and then back to A and were given a price based on this. This is one journey that commences and ends in A. If you do not join in A you will not be able to complete your journey as you did not start it so any other flights can be cancelled.

If you do not want to commit to completing a journey ABA you could look at separate flights from A to B and from B to A. Each of these will be independent journeys so you can still use the B to A flight having not used the other ticket

The downside of this is that it is generally much more expensive

eg FRA-EDI-FRA can be booked as a return journey for €116 12-26 Sept but if you want 2 independent journeys this would cost you €330+€241 = €571 for the same flights

Once you knew you would not make the outbound flight you could have called to enquire if you can change your booking to be the return portion only, this would involve repricing the ticket and the higher one-way fare plus a possible change fee depending on the ticket rules

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,570 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lufthansa cancelled return flight without notifying me

Section 3.3 is pretty watertight. You don't comply with the contract, they're not required to either.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,650 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lufthansa cancelled return flight without notifying me

"As far as I can tell, that does not constitute the right for them to cancel my ticket."

I agree that it could be made clearer but they specifically state that if you want to change any aspect of your carriage you need to contact them in advance. Had you done so they would have changed your ticket and recalculated your fare.

Reply to: Lufthansa cancelled return flight without notifying me
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted