We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daily Spending/Expenditures Budget for Family of 4 on Cruise

Bothell, Washington
Level Contributor
20 posts
31 reviews
38 helpful votes
Daily Spending/Expenditures Budget for Family of 4 on Cruise
Save

My family and I are taking a cruise for the first time (husband, myself, and 8- and 5-year-old children). We've prepaid for us to have unlimited open bar and two specialty meal packages - may do more, depending on what husband wants to do. We are pre-paying for tips, so not worried about that. We plan to book a few excursions, too.

Since all expenditures are added to the NCL Onboard Account, what's a good amount to budget for?

4 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
429 posts
97 reviews
46 helpful votes
1. Re: Daily Spending/Expenditures Budget for Family of 4 on Cruise
Save

Well, you need to do a bit more budget research and decision-making. You do not say where your cruise is going or for how long.

There are some excursions that cost $39.00, and there are some that cost $399.00. I also use the photography studio and budget up to a few hundred, and I bring extra tip money (cash) for the staff. Will you be paying for any babysitting, or purchasing on-board items like stuffed animals, candy, etc. for the kids?

Are you going to need to access the Internet while on the ship?

Do you want any spa treatments? Will husband want to buy any alcohol to take home? Are you tempted by a sparkly piece of jewelry in the on-board shops? Are t-shirts for the whole gang on the souvenir list? Are you serious gamblers?

It is always easy to spend more than planned on cruise ships, so just be disciplined. I am sure it will be a wonderful experience for your whole family.

Have a great time!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
114,508 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
2. Re: Daily Spending/Expenditures Budget for Family of 4 on Cruise
Save

Mary is right. There are lots of things you could buy onboard, but having paid for the daily service charges, drinks and some speciality dining, it will be possible not to spend anything more if you don't want to.

By the sounds of it, though, you are planning on taking a few excursions and that will be your major spend. So yes, it does all depend on where you are sailing and the excursions that you choose.

Alternatively, you could do what we do, which is to set a budget we can afford before we go, and keep an eye on what you spend to stay within it.

Bothell, Washington
Level Contributor
20 posts
31 reviews
38 helpful votes
3. Re: Daily Spending/Expenditures Budget for Family of 4 on Cruise
Save

Some clarifications...

7-day cruise to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlan.

We plan to do a few excursions, such as the dolphin encounter for the kids. No babysitting. I can see us buying a few things for the kids, such as a stuffed animal and some candy, but not go overboard - they had a great Christmas and this trip is a big gift for them.

We have pre-paid Internet packages for my husband and me; our children will have their tablets with offline, downloaded content we pre-download before our trip.

Not sure on spa treatment; maybe. It'd only be for me. My husband always buys alcohol on our trips and I'm not a fan of purchases when traveling; I'm more experience-based. We do plan to gamble a little, which we do where we live.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
3,444 posts
156 reviews
161 helpful votes
4. Re: Daily Spending/Expenditures Budget for Family of 4 on Cruise
Save

I am just getting off NCL Bliss today in LA.

Gratuities unless prepaid are $20 per person per day.

Messaging package as such is 9.95.

Excursions..do you have the 50 dollar off deal? Either way they range from 50 dollars ish to.. Well I saw one for 799!

You can do better excursions by researching yourself at all those ports.

Mazatlan is a very easy walk to the beach.

Cabo, tender port and lots of local vendors dock side offering tours. We booked ahead though with Cabo Trek.

PV, again lots of local vendors offering tours.

Other expenses.. Gambling.. Who knows..

Reply to: Daily Spending/Expenditures Budget for Family of 4 on Cruise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.