We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Advisor Pop-Under

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Advisor Pop-Under

When I search for advice on how to stop this very annoying pop-under I note that people have been requesting ways to stop it since at least 2008!

Who uses pop-unders these days?

Trip Advisor you don't need to do this so please either stop it or provide a way within preferences so that people can turn it off.

Thanks for listening,

Andy

21 replies to this topic
Reading, England
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip Advisor Pop-Under

Well, Toopaz, being better than that doesn't make it OK in my book. rstwonee nails it with "spamming someone when they are contributing to the website is just dumb"

12. Re: Trip Advisor Pop-Under

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 October 2016, 19:05

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,158 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trip Advisor Pop-Under

Annoying as the popunders may be, but posting about them in three different threads is also annoying. And others may see you as spamming the forums and vote report your posts as inappropriate.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Trip Advisor Pop-Under

I completely agree, i've already blocked tripadvisor on my brower from bringing out a pop up and still it comes out every single time.

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
14 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Trip Advisor Pop-Under

You need to stop doing this. There is no need in 2017. I just close them.

16. Re: Trip Advisor Pop-Under

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2017, 02:00

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,325 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Trip Advisor Pop-Under

Jay S Sounds dramatic. Loss of Productivity . Really

We hear about lot so frivolous lawsuits -- and while i am not suggesting you plan to do that -- the idea sounds similar. You can always find the right software to stop this pop up

But if you want to contact Staff www.tripadvisor.com/generalsupport

Expecting to post on a public forum and for a FREE website to stop its advertising practices sounds a bit far fetched. Go ahead and do try to contact support and see if you can get TA to stop this in -- in 7 days ?

Honestly I would just close my account -- and move on if this is such a huge issue. But I don't work for Ta and do not speak for them and cannot ask you to do things

Edited: 10 March 2017, 01:10
18. Re: Trip Advisor Pop-Under

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2017, 02:00

Victoria Capital...
Level Contributor
2 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Trip Advisor Pop-Under

So one of those crappy popunder/over ads came up as I tried to post this. The issue isn't so much the popunders as it is the illogical timing of these. I've stopped contributing to TA as I'm done with a site that prefers to ad-bomb their contributors while they are trying to help the website. Yes it's a free website but it's built on the backs of thousands of contributors who share their travel experiences. One would think that you shouldn't ad-bomb those who help you to make money. But it matters not. I'm gone. Oh and yes I know about all those blockers but it's whack-a-mole -- TA staff spends more time trying to get around your blocker than actually analyzing the problem. The only reason I'm posting this message is that I didn't realize that I still get email notifications when someone posts here. Complain to TA support? Done already. They don't care and have not cared all these many years. My love affair with TA has been soured and I wonder how many others are like me? As mentioned this is a public forum and one not likely followed by any TA staff -- their loss and definitely not mine.

Denver
Level Contributor
468 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Trip Advisor Pop-Under

I refuse to book anything via one of TripAdvisor's pop-unders. If they have to stoop that low to get something on my screen why should I trust them with my money or travel?

Reply to: Trip Advisor Pop-Under
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions