We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Hotwire

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Topic
Beware Hotwire

Beware "Pig In A Poke" bookings!

I just got burned by Hotwire. I booked a hotel at LAX in order to get rest before an allnight trip. After booking I learned (as is their normal procedures) that I would be staying at the Holiday Inn LAX. That sounded fine to me until I called the hotel directly to make a routine inquirey. The front desk personnel told me that they were under a complete renovation, and there was dust in the air and hammering and pounding noises from 8AM to 7PM and there was no quiet in the hotel anywhere. So, after thinking about the dust and the noise that would intrude on my best 4 hours of possible sleep (working all night, remember?) I called Hotwire and told them I couldn't stay there. They imformed me that I would have to check in and only then could they "walk" me to another hotel.... maybe.

So, that's two cab rides (not cheap in LA) and about 1 1/2 hours of my time, when they know the hotel will be unacceptable because the hotel itself says so!

Resist the temptation, don't use these guys! You're buying a "Pig in a Poke".

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Beware Hotwire

Has any body noticed that the people complaining are newbees? And the people calling you idiots are people with gazellion postings. Who have been every where and know everything. They must be the uber 1% who started travelling while stilled being breast fed.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,598 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Beware Hotwire

Do you have to know everything and have been everywhere to know that you can't expect to change a non-changable booking? Or to give a company it's due when they actually bend the rules for you instead of complaining about their customer service? I personally don't see how the two things are connected at all.

I never called anyone an idiot but I'm happy to say that it's a dirty trick (and probably illegal) to ask your creditcard provider to dispute a charge that you agreed to, just because personal circumstances make you unable to use the booking.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,113 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Beware Hotwire

<Has any body noticed that the people complaining are newbees? And the people calling you idiots are people with gazellion postings. Who have been every where and know everything. They must be the uber 1% who started travelling while stilled being breast fed.>

Has anyone notices that the majority of the complaint threads are from folks who didn't read or understand the rules - but want to change them.

Whenever I spend my hard earned money, I usually want to know the rules.

Pembroke, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
64. Re: Beware Hotwire

Mar 2012: BEWARE HOTWIRE AND BOOKING TOURS. We booked a 5 dy trip to Dreams Riveria Resort & Spa Cancun using Hotwire. We also booked a tour to Chichen Izta by Best Day. The voucher stated that Best Day would pick us up at the Airport and take us to our Hotel. We arrived at 11:00 pm; found the Best Day rep outside the Airport; spent 15 minutes while the Best Day rep made phone calls only to discover, we were not on their list for pickup. We needed a voucher from Expedia which we learned actually owned Hotwire (but we did have voucher direct from Hotwire - it didn't count). We ended up having to take a taxi to the Resort $74.00US Cash only. The Taxi driver didn't know the route to the Resort and took us the back roads proving to be very scary at night. I definitely didn't feel safe and all the Alerts from the Canadian Govt was ringing in my ears. Thankfully, though exhausted from travelling all day, I was smart enough to get a receipt. Expedia refunded, after some assertiveness and proof in print on our voucher that Best Day,a partner of Expedia's, was responsible to get us to the Resort.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Beware Hotwire

I only rent cars from Hotwire. No problems so far been very happy. They only use the major car rental agencies. I don't think I would try using them for a hotel after reading this post!!!!

Edited: 01 April 2012, 10:43
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,563 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Beware Hotwire

I haven't used hotwire for a few months, and just Friday got a smoking deal on a hotel room. They listed a 3 star w/pool and complimentary breakfast for $57+tax - total cost was $67 for the Fairbanks Holiday Inn Express. Both Expedia and Hotels.com had the same hotel for $109 excluding tax. Those are the reasons I LOVE hotwire! :)

Westerville, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
67. Re: Beware Hotwire

I, too was burned by Hotwire. Confirmation means nothing. I had confirmation for westin in Pasadena April 19, 2012 for 5/22/12 to 5/27/12. Yesterday, 5/17/12, 5 days before our arrival, I get a vm that westin cannot honor the reservation because they oversold. So they don't really confirm!. My only recourse per Hotwire is to get a refund or they can rebook at another hotel but I have to pay the difference. No other option. This after almost a month of supposed confirmation. One of their snippy agent even had the audacity to tell me that least I was notified! Sometimes their clients arrive at confirmed hotel just to find out that their reservation was not honored! It is only this scenario that Hotwire will find you another hotel of their choice at no additional cost. And they expect me to want to rebook with them? First time and last time I will use Hotwire. I advise everyone not to either, if you want to be sure you have a guaranteed reservation.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,598 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Beware Hotwire

"I get a vm that westin cannot honor the reservation because they oversold."

So shouldn't you be upset with the Westin hotel? They're the ones that oversold their rooms, not Hotwire. No reservation is ever guaranteed no matter where you book if the hotel oversells.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,546 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Beware Hotwire

A hotel chain like Westin would find alternate accommodations for a guest who booked directly with them if they were oversold. Of course it happens that hotels overbook occasionally, but in my experience hotel chains, at least in the USA will do everything possible to accommodate their customers who are displaced. They won't just tell you tough luck, go find a room somewhere else, and they generally pay the difference.

I am very surprised to read this could happen with Hotwire. It is also surprising that a hotel would determine 5 days in advance that they are oversold. There are always last minute cancellations, so I am surprised they would give up a customer so soon.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
70. Re: Beware Hotwire

Will never use them again. Used to enjoy their 'Secret' deals as you'd find some great new places (and admittedly some not so great places, but it was all fun). Then twice in a row (Seattle and Brisbane) I booked into what they said was a 'CBD' hotel only to be parked out in an industrial zone 20mins from anything. Had to rebook to a hotel somewhere close to the city at own expense. Customer service basically said 'suck it', technically it is 'central'. Will never use them again.