We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

expat explore europe

sel,mlysia
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
expat explore europe

hi, my family of 6 people are going on tour to europe -europe escape in june . any review on the tour and how are the hotels/accomadation chosen throughout the tour, are they clean and safe?

thanks alot

j P
London, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: expat explore europe

We went on this trip in March. The Sight seeing was good the tour guide was good but that was about it.

If you are vegetarian the food was terrible and to think they charge extra £99 for food. We had 2 accidents and some of us passenger had our Bags stolen from the coach in Rome while we were on a walking tour, for which the travel insurance does not cover as it was left on the coach and Expat are NOT willing to compensate. Wish i had chosen another company.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: expat explore europe

I have done 2 tours with expat. One in Europe through Xmas 2009. Was my first instance of being on a tour was fun... Was all Aussies and kiwis between like 25 - 30 yrs old..

Because I had a great time I booked on an expat tour of Egypt in march 2010 and well I had to make the mostl of the situation I was in but wouldn't book through them again. Poorly run..

After then doing a kumuka tour through the rest of the middle east and seeing how a tour is supposed to be I wouldn't choose expat..

Egypt and Europe are obviously two different experiences but overall I would def look elsewhere and if you have the $$$ find a better more reputable tour company although expensive I recommend kumuka and if your after a "family tour probably best to avoid expat as they seem more backpackers tours.

sel,mlysia
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: expat explore europe

hi, just came back from 12 days europe escape tour with expat explore. i posted few queries on expat explore prior to the tour and i now we are back , i am glad to say that we had wonderful time. overall it is a good tour, packed and hectic timetable but it cover most of the essential tourist place/activities within the 12 days. in free days you can do your own thing so it's advisable to do some research beforehand in what /where to do/go and how to get there.if you in a group sometimes cheaper to do the free day activities on your own as the tour does not included the entrance fee to places or activities .

vegetarian food are disappointing but we know this from the forum beforehand so it is expected and we sort of prepared for it( packed food) but i do think they can serve better vegetarion food.

accomodation- average, but clean and good enough to rest/sleep after long/tiring day. in munich, the dolomit hotel is the best among all, worse i think in amsterdam. location most out of city centre but near to train/bus stop so easy to travel to city centre.yes, contiki ,top deck and other several tour group are staying at similar hotels.

ibottom line is we are satisfied with the tour and think it's money worth it . dont think we can do/cover as many countries in the same span of time(12 days).

Johannesburg, South...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: expat explore europe

@ mafmSel_mlysia

Thank you for your awesome feedback, i wil defn take your advice and do some pre-traveling research

I can not wait to go on mytrip

Im leaving on the 6th August!

Thanks again

5. Re: expat explore europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 July 2012, 02:35
Cape Town
Level Contributor
13 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: expat explore europe

Very concerned at your posting as hubby and I just booked for June 2013. We are both pensioners. Worried at your 'accident' comment and also luggage being stolen... sounds hectic!!! Have already paid our 10% deposit - should we continue with booking?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: expat explore europe

Their accommodations are mostly Hostels even for comfort tours.

Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: expat explore europe

hi

We thot of taking the 7D Europe taster next year which is new in the tour list. What about visa to europe ? Do we have to apply on our own or expatexplore would do that for us? (Im from Malaysia, btw)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,177 posts
5,424 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: expat explore europe

Hello neelza,

In most cases you will need to apply for your own travel visa at the consulate or embassy of the country you intend to visit within the country of your own personal residency.

For Europe, you will need a Shenghen Visa and its normal practice to apply at the country you are entering or the country in which you are scheduled to spend the most time.

Whether Expat travels will assist or not is something you should ask them directly. My guess is that they will only be able to provide the documentation that you have a trip booked and paid for (including airfare, accommodations and internal transportation) which you will be required to provide when you apply for your Shenghen (Europe) visa from Malaysia.

Again, best to call and ask them what visa application support they provide as part of their tours.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
13 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: expat explore europe

How did your trip turn out? We are also pensioners (age 70 and 64) and worried now that we are taking on more than we can handle - as the schedule is beginning to sound hectic. Did you manage okay? would settle our minds a bit to get some honest feedback - as have already paid deposits and now hubby doesn't want to travel..... Thanks