We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

York to Norwich & split tickets

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
York to Norwich & split tickets
Save

I need to book two tickets mid April with a rail pass. As advance tickets aren't available yet I have set an alert for the date.

To check costs I entered earlier dates until tickets registered and cross referenced the train company LNER (who run the first part of the 2 train journey) with three agents using the same date.

LNER GBP46 (Advance single)

RedspottedHanky GBP46 (Advance single)

RailEurope GBP46 + booking fee GBP6.24 (Standard, non-flexible, advance single)

Trainline GBP39.20 + booking fee GBP1.99 (Standard Split-save)

So Trainline has the edge for price. Are they the only company to 'split save' ?

Can I assume that if the LNER train is delayed on the first half of the journey, and unable to connect with the EMR train for the second half of the journey, that the ticket will be honoured and we can catch the next available train to Norwich? In the past I've booked two separate tickets with extra transfer time in case of delays so good to see a company supporting the split.

What's the general opinion on Redspottedhanky? How new are they? It's been a while since we've been able to travel so I'm just getting up to speed.

Thank you.

9 replies to this topic
1. Re: York to Norwich & split tickets

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

2. Re: York to Norwich & split tickets

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: York to Norwich & split tickets
Save

I am seeing Advance Singles at £34.90 for a midweek day in Feb on the Chiltern website. Any of the Train Operating Companies should have the same fares

No need to use third party sellers

Don't understand reference to pass

Have you looked at http://www.seat61.com for information on rail travel in UK

If first train delay causes missed connection then you get the next available. It may be a good idea to get dlay noted on ticket by staff on train or at Peterborough where you change

Edited: 18 January 2023, 17:35
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
4. Re: York to Norwich & split tickets
Save

Trying for the first Tuesday in April, for which tickets are on sale, the cheapest split I can see is:

LNER Advance Single York to Peterborough - £13.50

EMR Adv. Sgl. Peterborough to Norwich - £9

Total: £22.50 per adult, with no railcards

And you can book that yourself without booking fees if you use a Train Operating Company website and put in a via point of Peterborough, as that should force the booking engine to offer the fares I've listed.

You may need to wait perhaps a week or so for Advances for dates in mid-April to be on sale though, seems to be only up to the 1st week in April currently.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: York to Norwich & split tickets
Save

Thank you WarwickshireLad & Wex Cel

I was concerned that if I don't have a through ticket and the first train is delayed we'd have to shell out for new tickets - unless I can find a friendly guard or book a longer transfer. I don't know how well UK trains can be relied on for keeping to their timetables.

I would prefer booking direct with no booking fees. And I should have called the 'pass' a 'rail card'.

Thank you both again for your advice.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6. Re: York to Norwich & split tickets
Save

Not at all. Your intended journey is what counts.

While better to book a through itinerary even with split tickets, to make sure your connections are valid, there is no requirement to do so to allow you to be rerouted if delayed on the same tickets - ie put on the next service that will get you to your destination.

Staff might insist that it is with the same operator you were booked with, but it's a grey area as to how enforceable that is if it would delay you significantly further. (This is one of the rare instances in railway law where the still applicable European law is more generous than the UK one.)

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
40 reviews
23 helpful votes
7. Re: York to Norwich & split tickets
Save

The key thing with split tickets, is that the trains you are on must stop at the stations that you 'split' your tickets at. There are split ticketing website that will help you with this.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
8. Re: York to Norwich & split tickets
Save

Yes, that is definitely an important 'rule'.

Obviously if using a split ticketing website, it will sort that for you. If doing it yourself you need to be careful about the combinations you use and whether they are valid.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
114,508 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
9. Re: York to Norwich & split tickets
Save

don't worry about missing the second train on a slit ticket, even if using Advance tickets. If my understanding is correct this is protected under the National Rail Conditions of Carriage.

Reply to: York to Norwich & split tickets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.