We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurostar On Time Reliability

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
801 posts
13 reviews
36 helpful votes
Eurostar On Time Reliability

I will be traveling from Lille to London and onward to Manchester at the beginning of August. The Eurostar arrives ar St Pancras at 09:57. The train to Manchester leaves Euston at 11:20. I believe that the walk between the stations is about 15 minutes. I think I have given myself enough time.

Am I correct?

Is the Eurostar usually on time? How often is it late?

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
92 reviews
44 helpful votes
1. Re: Eurostar On Time Reliability

Yes, plenty of time. I usually allow myself 30 minutes from Eurostar arriving at St Pancras for my onward train, also from St Pancras, and I've never had a problem. So 80 minutes for a train from Euston is ample. It is 10 minutes walk - straight along the main Euston Road. It is faster to walk than to use the Underground, given the time it takes to get from street level down to the platforms, wait for a train, then back up at Euston!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
111,206 posts
17 reviews
20 helpful votes
2. Re: Eurostar On Time Reliability

If you have not yet bought your tickets, buy all the way from Lille to Manchester from Eurostar to get a protected connection. If the Eurostar is delayed, you can have your London-Manchester ticket transferred to a later train.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
16,507 posts
3,310 reviews
4,484 helpful votes
3. Re: Eurostar On Time Reliability

Yes.

Thankfully, Eurostar is not an airline.

Do reserve first class seats

Slainte

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
801 posts
13 reviews
36 helpful votes
4. Re: Eurostar On Time Reliability

Thank you all for replying so quickly. I already bought my tickets. I wish I had known about the protected connection before. Glad that I will probably have no problem connecting between the two trains. I will probably walk but will take a taxi if it's raining since I will have two small bags on wheels.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
120,459 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
5. Re: Eurostar On Time Reliability

You shouldn't have any difficulty making the second train normally. However, Eurostar can be affected by serious delays form time to time. This is normally due to tunnel related problems, and if it does happen on your day of travel, then the best advice I can give is to go along to the Virgin information desk at Euston, explain what happened and ask if there's anything they can do to help you.

Please don't be upset if the answer is negative. They will be entitled to enforce the T&C's of Advance tickets if that's the sort you bought. If you have an of peak ticket, you can catch any train within the time allowed for such tickets. Check at the desk if you have any questions about what's allowed and what isn't.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
18,266 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Eurostar On Time Reliability

Eurostar has a nice map with walking directions:

http://www.eurostar.com/sites/default/files/pdf/connections_info/4782_UK_station_transfers_map.pdf

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
226 posts
462 reviews
295 helpful votes
7. Re: Eurostar On Time Reliability

You say that you already have tickets. Is this for both Eurostar and the journey from Euston to Manchester ?

If not, a ticket from London International or London Eurostar can be purchased separately. Online sites tend not to have these as destinations/origins do you may have to phone a UK booking centre.

So, you a looking to by a ticket from London International to Manchester or London Eurostar to Manchester. These give you same connection protection as buying a through ticket from Eurostar themselves.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
801 posts
13 reviews
36 helpful votes
8. Re: Eurostar On Time Reliability

Thanks RojBlake for the suggestion if there is a delay and Krist for the map. Thanks Skeldergate for the information. I bought the Eurostar ticket on the Eurostar website and ticket to Manchester on the Virgin Trains website. Virgin Trains had a 3 day sale. The ticket to Manchester was £10 but not refundable and not changeable. I do have trip insurance but would have to buy a new ticket at a much higher price.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
120,459 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
9. Re: Eurostar On Time Reliability

I wouldn;t do anythign at this point. The worst case scenario is that are you do get held up and have to buy a new ticket to get home. You may have to wait before you can travel on the cheapest ticket available if you arrive just before the afternoon peak kicks in, but that's about as bad as it will get. If there are serious problems with the tunnel or the infrastructure Virgin may well show flexibility.

Hopefully, though, you won't encounter any problems and that £10 ticket will turn out to be a proper bargain!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
32,367 posts
75 reviews
126 helpful votes
10. Re: Eurostar On Time Reliability

The first time I travelled on Eurostar we left Paris on time but few miles out from St Pancras the train stopped and we were stuck there for 2 hours due to an overhead power supply failure.

And last week a train broke down in the tunnel causing delays and cancellations.

You'll be fine though! ;-)

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.