We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar Key 'n go

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
348 posts
4 reviews
13 helpful votes
Goldcar Key 'n go
Save

HI. Trying to book Goldcar Key 'n go from the USA for MXP pickup and I cannot get the website to send me the necessary SMS (text) message. Has anyone in the USA been able to book Key 'n go in Italy? I am thinking that it might only be available for Schengen countries. Was able to talk to someone at Goldcar and they said to keep trying but prices seem to be going up daily... Thanks for any help.

2 replies to this topic
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
41,050 posts
35 reviews
98 helpful votes
1. Re: Goldcar Key 'n go
Save

First, not being an American or based in the USA, I don't know if your issue is indeed because of your cellphone number. Speaking to agents (not just with Goldcar) doesn't always get the right answer because they can often be agency staff or poorly trained and may not have enough or the correct info to respond, but they'd sooner say something, anything to get you off the phone!

Second, and a bit more concerning is that very many of Goldcar's Italian agencies have an awful reputation. Just check out reviews and comments on any of Tripadvisor's Italy forums or ask there for help, anyway.

Yes, car rental prices are high and they can go up the closer you get to the pick up date, but - if some time away - may just go up and down owing to how many book that day.

Make sure you understand where you stand with included or added, without choice, insurances when you pick up the keys, whichever rental company you pick. And, if you need an automatic, make sure you book that - except luxury car categories, the default car will be stick shift/manual usually. Don't forget an IDP (easy to get from any AAA office or other sources) will be needed if stopped by the police, even if the rental company don't bother to check you have one.

As you are renting in Italy and presumably driving in Italy, especially make sure you know the rules of the road, and the most important think anybody needs to know about for Italy is the ZTL system. Each and every community/city/town has one and every one is different. If you cross the boundary without permission, you are fined each and every time and the rental companies are more than happy to ensure you get your fines, with their fees added on.

Oh, these last points apply to any rental company, not specific to just Goldcar.

Any specific or further question, usually on the Italy forums will help.

SWT

Edited: 24 January 2023, 01:59
Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
348 posts
4 reviews
13 helpful votes
2. Re: Goldcar Key 'n go
Save

@SussexWorldtraveller thanks for the reply. I have rented and driven in Italy in the past so I understand driving and renting there in general. I am willing to give Goldcar a shot in this instance because I will pay for their most expensive insurance option. And if I can make the Key 'n go option work then there is no opportunity to up sell as I won't even contact a human. With 100% supplier provided CDW (including glass,interior, etc.) I feel pretty confident, and recent reviews of Key'n go are mostly positive. But all that said I will still take pictures... I will post on the Italy forum also.

Reply to: Goldcar Key 'n go
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.