We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EU vet certifying UK rabies vaccine in EU pet passport

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
EU vet certifying UK rabies vaccine in EU pet passport

We got an Animal Health Certificate to travel from England to Spain via France with our lurcher. Our UK vet recommended we get him an EU Pet Passport while in Spain, which we did without much trouble. However, the rabies vaccination page remains empty making it useless.

I've tried to find answers online around this but this is all so new that there's not much out there. We do know that lots of UK pet owners have been able to get EU pet passports so someone may know how to solve this rabies vaccine issue.

The border checks in the Eurotunnel were very thorough so I don't think this is a matter of bringing all the papers and hoping that they will be flexible.

I think these are our options:

- Getting the Spanish vet who issued the passport to certify the rabies vaccine using the AHC as reference and making a small note of this in the passport. However it seems like without the vaccine sticker this makes the entry in the passport not valid. I wonder if there is an official exception to this rule as long as we travel with the passport + original AHC used to certify + vaccines history booklet with the sticker.

- Getting a new AHC next time we intend to travel to the EU and get our lurcher a new rabies jab or booster by an EU vet so they can include the new sticker and details in his passport.

Hopefully someone has gone through this and found the solution?

A million thanks!

59 replies to this topic
Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
6,818 posts
109 reviews
86 helpful votes
1. Re: EU vet certifying UK rabies vaccine in EU pet passport

I haven’t been in this situation, but as I now live in the UK and have a dog with an EU passport that I want to keep, I’m constantly trying to work out the rules!

I would suggest that your last comment “Getting a new AHC next time we intend to travel to the EU ……..” is your solution. As you know, a UK vet cannot make any entries in the pet passport, and I doubt very much that staff at the Eurotunnel would be flexible.

Out of interest, and for future reference, did the Spanish vet not want a permanent Spanish address in order to issue the pet passport?

Good luck.

Trisha

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
7 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: EU vet certifying UK rabies vaccine in EU pet passport

The pet passport is not used anymore, as long as you have the paperwork with the injections and the blood report you are ok

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: EU vet certifying UK rabies vaccine in EU pet passport

The second is the way to go. Go back on an AHC and get a fresh rabies booster in the EU - and ideally not in Spain, since theirs are very often only the one-year ones, so unless you can find a Spanish vet willing to dispense one licensed there for three years, you are tied to being back in the EU (less than) a year later.

Your first suggested solution will get you nowhere. And on no account make entries yourself, or get a UK vet to do so, since if these affect any of the critical data - such as the rabies vax details - you invalidate the whole document.

Some people - including myself when I got my PP issued in Belgium - have managed to get rabies vaccinations copied across from UK records - but when I got back to the Tunnel they told me the way mine was done, they wouldn't accept it. Essentially all the details need to be entered in the new PP and signed and stamped as if the EU vet had done it, without any cross-referencing to UK documentation. Finding an EU vet willing to do this - and explaining it all in a foreign language - isn't the easiest.

Edited: 2 years ago
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: EU vet certifying UK rabies vaccine in EU pet passport

My UK vet actually entered the UK vaccine sticker and stamp in my pet's EU passport. Would this be valid for travel?

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: EU vet certifying UK rabies vaccine in EU pet passport

#4 clearly not. You would be denied boarding to your ferry or Eurotunnel and your trip would be ruined.

Essex
Level Contributor
40,814 posts
57 reviews
199 helpful votes
6. Re: EU vet certifying UK rabies vaccine in EU pet passport

Er, why don't you just get the EU Vet to give your pet a Rabies vaccine and "Start from Scratch"??

This surely does not cost too much compared to all the hassle that you might get without one???

OK, you can't travel back to the UK until 21 days have elapsed after the vaccine has been given, but just 'factor that in' to your Holiday travels.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
7. Re: EU vet certifying UK rabies vaccine in EU pet passport

Have you found any solution in this sittuation?

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
8. Re: EU vet certifying UK rabies vaccine in EU pet passport

Have you found solution for this situation, as Im in the same boat currently/.

Swansea
Level Contributor
18 posts
28 reviews
39 helpful votes
9. Re: EU vet certifying UK rabies vaccine in EU pet passport

We were advised, by our vet, to have our dog's EU pet passport (which was still valid) updated with a rabies booster shot while we were on Holiday in Ireland. It was simple to do (and Cheaper than at home). It's a different matter if your pet does not have a current EU passport. A new one will need the usual elapsed time and test to have been done. You would need to talk to a vet in the destination country about getting a passport suitable for the EU. I have read some wher that all this emerges because our government will not sign a particular document to allow our vets to do the job.

Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
5 helpful votes
10. Re: EU vet certifying UK rabies vaccine in EU pet passport

My dog is Irish so has an EU passport although we live in the UK. Her rabies expires on 4/9/22 so we hoped to have a short holiday in France in August and get a rabies there. We have 3 queries…does the 21 day rule apply even though she is already vaccinated for rabies? How easy is it to find a vet who will administer a rabies vaccine to a UK dog? (We’ve seen websites where French vets state they don’t do this) And are French rabies vaccines 1 year or 3 year vaccines? Any advice surrounding this issue gratefully received.

Reply to: EU vet certifying UK rabies vaccine in EU pet passport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.