We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel with cat in cabin with Lufthansa to Ireland

10 posts
Travel with cat in cabin with Lufthansa to Ireland

Before I bought my ticket do Dublin, I checked to see if Lufthansa is a pet friendly airline by reading their pet policy. Then a few days later I rang them to see how much would it cost to travel from Sarajevo through Frankfurt to Dublin, and they quoted me and told me I need to register my pet before the flight which was ok.

Once I registered my cat, I received a call from Lufthansa to say there’s a ban on pets in Ireland and they cannot allow me to travel with my cat for the Frankfurt-Dublin leg of the trip.

I checked for official guidance immediately and was confimed by the Irish government that that is not true and that pets can travel without issue.

I then went back to Lufthansa who again told me the same story, then they told me it’s up to the Irish rules, then they told me they can set their own rules (which are nowhere on their website on pet policy) and then they told me if I’m allowed to travel by the airport staff they see no issue in me travelling with my cat. They sent me a confirmation email which again shows confirmation for all parts of the trip except the one involving Frankurt to Dublin leg.

I was told by other people that Lufthansa has been defrauding people for years taking money for pet travel to Ireland without actually being able to transport pets into Ireland because they dont have a license.

Does anyone know what’s going on? Has anyone travelled with Lufthansa to Ireland with their pet? I’m desperate because I’m running out of time to figure something out

8 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
7,289 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Travel with cat in cabin with Lufthansa to Ireland

Can your pet not travel in the hold? No animal can travel in the cabin to the UK or Ireland

10 posts
2. Re: Travel with cat in cabin with Lufthansa to Ireland

They actually can. I got clear instructions from the department of agriculture on how to do a compliance check depending on how the animal is travelling (in cabin or as cargo)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
3. Re: Travel with cat in cabin with Lufthansa to Ireland

Did you get an answer for your inquiry. I'll be traveling with my pet cat soon too via Lufthansa. Do you need a commercial health certificate or a non commercial health certificate? Any advice?

Rawalpindi, Pakistan
3 posts
4. Re: Travel with cat in cabin with Lufthansa to Ireland

Have you received a response to your question? I'm also planning to travel with my cat on Lufthansa soon. Are you required to obtain a commercial health certificate or a non-commercial health certificate? Any guidance would be appreciated.

For questions about travelling to specific pets, Which you can browse or search for, starting here:

https://doglegacies.com/

5. Re: Travel with cat in cabin with Lufthansa to Ireland

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts Edited: 14 January 2024, 15:06

Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Travel with cat in cabin with Lufthansa to Ireland

IhtishtamK,

Where are you traveling? I brought my cat from Jordan to Las Vegas on Lufthansa with no issues. They never even checked any paperwork.

I did, however, have a valid rabies certificate, CDC vaccination and microchip record as well as a health certificate saying she was healthy to travel.

They also never measured the carrier. It was bigger than allowed, but soft sided, so maybe they figured it could be squished? I had one with me that was exact measurements just in case, but didn't end up needing it.

Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Travel with cat in cabin with Lufthansa to Ireland

Vanessa, I had the same trouble with Lufthansa when trying to bring a dog back from Jordan. They said it couldn't leave the country due to an embargo.

I asked them when this embargo started and they put me on hold. Then they came back and siad it was fine, I just needed the correct paperwork, and if I didn't have it, they would turn me away at the airport.

Call the German service center, not the US. The US is awful.

1 post
1 review
8. Re: Travel with cat in cabin with Lufthansa to Ireland

Hi Vernesa, what happened in the end? could you travel with your cat? did you change airlines? I am in the exact same situation with Lufthansa. I relocated to Ireland and I want to bring my sausage dog.

Reply to: Travel with cat in cabin with Lufthansa to Ireland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.