We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Thassos and back via Serbia with a pet dog

2 posts
1 review
London to Thassos and back via Serbia with a pet dog

Hello!

We are planing on driving to Thasos, Green this year with our pet dog. The best route seems to be via Serbia. I have searched for info on taking dogs through Serbia. I am still confused as to what is required! At most we may end up staying one night in Serbia before we cross into Bulgaria and on to Greece and the same again in reverse crossing from Serbia into Slovenia.

If anyone has done this before can you please advise :)

My main questions are:

1) Will the health certificate required for taking pets to the EU from the UK be enough for travel through Serbia? or do we need additional documentation?

2) Once in Greece we will be there for 2-3 weeks. Will we need additional documentation when crossing from Bulgaria to Serbia on the return trip?

3) Will the health certificate from the UK still be valid when we cross from Serbia back into the EU (Slovenia)?

Any help and advice greatly appreciated :)

3 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
1. Re: London to Thassos and back via Serbia with a pet dog

We did similar with our dog in summer 2022 though not exactly the same. Went to Greece (and beyond) via the Adriatic route and back via Bulgaria, Serbia, Hungary route. I'm pretty sure you'll need a titre test as Serbia is not on the safe 3rd countries list for the EU, at least last time I checked. We had one and that's where things start to get expensive and you need to prepare at least 4 months before the crossing back into the EU, which for you would be when you cross from Serbia into Bulgaria.

Technically you'll need animal health certificates for each non-EU to EU and vice versa transit. However my best advice is to see if you can get a pet passport while in the EU, as then you don't need an AHC but just a stamp in the passport at a local vet if so. Vets are a fraction of the price outside the UK, so while inconvenient to have to find them, don't worry about the price of these certificates/stamps compared to the overall cost of driving to Greece.

Ultimately, we crossed 6 such borders to/from the EU on our trip and didn't get asked for paperwork a single time despite spending £100s on it. The most that ever happened was a customs officer opened the car door and saw the dog, and asked something mundane like 'is dangerous?' or petted and cooed at her. Seems they didn't want any hassle, spoke no or very little English anyway, and were mostly just screening the animal visually (our small dog definitely doesn't look rabid).

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
8,194 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: London to Thassos and back via Serbia with a pet dog

The AHC and equivalent health certificates are single use, and therefore can be used to enter the EU and leave just the once. Therefore each time you enter or re-enter the EU you will need new paperwork, issued ten days before your entry, which would be a costly hassle on your planned trip. People who do journeys like that will use an EU PP, and getting one is a pre-requisite for your trip, really. And you will need a titre test pass, from an EU approved laboratory, done at least three months prior, in order to re-enter the EU from Serbia.

I wouldn’t plan a trip like that with a pet until you’ve already been to the EU on a shorter trip, to get the PP (increasingly difficult as a non-EU resident nowadays) and then sorted out the titre test, which requires months of preparation, especially as titre test fails aren’t uncommon.

2 posts
1 review
3. Re: London to Thassos and back via Serbia with a pet dog

Thanks for the replies!

Will look into the titre test and getting a EU pet passport!

I guess if we can't get the required documentation on time we will have to bypass Serbia and go the longer route via Hungary and Romania!

Reply to: London to Thassos and back via Serbia with a pet dog
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.