We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from Turkey to the UK with Two Cats

Flying from Turkey to the UK with Two Cats

Hi everyone!

I’ve got a new job in Britain starting this October, and I need your help! We have two beloved cats that need to make the journey with us. What’s the best way to transport them? Has anyone gone through this before and can share their experience?

I heard that cats aren’t usually allowed in the cabin on flights to the UK. Is that true? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

8 replies to this topic
Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
7 reviews
7 helpful votes
1. Re: Flying from Turkey to the UK with Two Cats

Ok, this is very complicated!!!! Have you started the blood test by a EU approved lab? It’s 10,000tl now and needs to be done as long as the microchip and all the vaccinations are regular and up to date.

No pet can fly in the cabin into the U.K. but do look at Turkish airlines and sun express, they have full details on flying with a pet, they also take pets in the hold.You need a “fit to fly” certificate, see your vet on this. But it all can be easily done by yourself.

I’m waiting on my cats blood test to take him from Turkiye to the U.K., it’s very stressful, but can be done. I’m hoping to do this in the next few weeks so I will update you on the costs and how things go

Edited: 18 May 2024, 03:33
Antalya, Turkiye
Level Contributor
25,524 posts
28 reviews
110 helpful votes
2. Re: Flying from Turkey to the UK with Two Cats

If you are on Facebook check out the group Cihanger Cool for Cats who are very helpful for queries such as this.

I am pretty sure that you cannot fly directly in to the UK from Turkey with a cat. Most reports are from those that have flown to Paris or Amsterdam then get the ferry to the UK. Some of the overnight ferries have cabins you can book for you and your pet.

Then the rabies titre test and other necessary paperwork.

Check with the airlines for their current rules.

Edited: 20 May 2024, 12:57
Antalya, Turkiye
Level Contributor
25,524 posts
28 reviews
110 helpful votes
3. Re: Flying from Turkey to the UK with Two Cats

The rules, airlines, arrival airport etc are here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/pet-travel-approved-air-sea-rail-and-charter-routes-for-the-movement-of-pets/

I believe you can still pay for them as cargo....

There are pet transport companies that travel by road. Of course these all cost.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
4. Re: Flying from Turkey to the UK with Two Cats

UK law prevents pets arriving other than as cargo, which is expensive and a hassle to arrange. Most people in that position fly into the EU (Dublin, Paris or Amsterdam) and then finish the journey by land/sea. Doing this does require both EU and UK entry certification. From Turkey the certification will have to include a titre test pass achieved at least three months before travel, from an EU approved laboratory, as well as the usual travel health certification and fit to fly certificates. Altogether the OP is looking at a sizeable cost.

5. Re: Flying from Turkey to the UK with Two Cats

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
8,258 posts
40 reviews
68 helpful votes
6. Re: Flying from Turkey to the UK with Two Cats

You can't fly direct from Turkiye into UK with cats, friends did this trip a year ago. Cats were allowed in the cabin, in baskets under the seats. They had to fly to Amsterdam , then overland and ferry into UK.

7. Re: Flying from Turkey to the UK with Two Cats

Oh, good luck! And keep me up to date on how it went :)

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
7 reviews
7 helpful votes
8. Re: Flying from Turkey to the UK with Two Cats

Look at your DM, until you’ve done what I said you can’t bring a cat to the U.K., the rabies vaccine needs to be done then the blood test, this takes time. 6-8 weeks for the results to come back.the airlines have the prices . A friend I know who transports cats to the U.K. by car says it costs around £500.

Reply to: Flying from Turkey to the UK with Two Cats
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.